Most Interesting Shakedown I Ever Had I-Bay

Fished out of I-Bay Saturday and Sunday. Saturday went 6 for eight with 5 browns and a steelie and threw in a bonus seagull. Seagull took a silver, black and orange Smithwick off the surface which also took a couple of browns. Blue and silver J-11 did well and picked up one on a NK28 watermelon and one on a froggy challenger. Besides dropping a decent fish I also dropped a, new to me, torpedo rigger weight and my sub troll probe. Not a good first trip thing.  All the browns and the seagull released to swim or fly away.

Sunday only went 1 for 2. Having some steering difficulties and maneuvering in the lake traffic and waves was too much to deal with. Stuck to the back of the bay. The one we got was on the NK28 watermelon right behind the boat probably 10' down and 12' back. Maybe 10 lbs. Seems like the class of browns hanging around I-Bay area is nice this year.

post-149548-0-83750000-1461592436_thumb.jpg

post-149548-0-78473200-1461592442_thumb.jpg

post-149548-0-95443000-1461592451_thumb.jpg

post-149548-0-48099300-1461592465_thumb.jpg

post-149548-0-76854400-1461592481_thumb.jpg

post-149548-0-51232500-1461592490_thumb.jpg

post-149548-0-90975800-1461592506_thumb.jpg

post-149548-0-83256300-1461593173_thumb.jpg

I like the way your lures are stored...seen them in pics before but don't know what they are called or where to get them???

I got them from the classifieds here on LOU. He is on LOU as Dreams Come True Charters.

I feel your pain.  A few years ago I snagged the Bolten Point water intake pipe on Cayuga Lake.  I lost a FishHawk probe, 12lb Weight, a release, a terminator clip and half my rigger wire.  Last trip I hit the up button on my rigger my accident, sucking the weight into the pully.  Then I forgot about fixing it and proceeded to cross the lake in 3 footers.  It didn't take long before I lost the weight, clip and another release.................

Jack, Sorry about the weight and probe, tough way to start a season.  Maybe you got all of your bad luck out for the season in one shot.  Larry mentioned something about the seagull, I thought he was referring to a custom paint job on a spoon, no clue he meant the real thing, Lol.  Good luck the rest of the season!

What was most surprising to me was that the seagull allowed itself to be held without biting etc. They can be a handful :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

The seagull was amazingly docile. Never tried to bite or struggle. I think he was exhausted from being dragged 150' across the water. That or Nick is a seagull whisperer.

Can u elaborate further on how to catch seagulls? This must have happened as you were letting out the lure?

I'm not sure but I think we were on a hard turn and the stickbait was on the inside. All the gear had been out already. Someone yelled fish on and 3 seconds later there was all kinds of squawking going on behind the boat. The entire flock kept circling above the poor guy.

Had one on a dock fly right up and walk right towards me.  Looked down and he had a broken off jplug wrapped around his wing.  Threw a rag on his head and removed the jplug and he flew off.  Those darn rats with wings are smarter than you think sometimes.  

Casting live minnows and having a duck clamp down on it....thats a whole different experience.