D.E.C kills another bear

samajm

This was a couple hundred yards from my house on Elm st.  The DEC got this bear out of Herkimer acouple of weeks ago.  It must be hard to know how much stuff to knock out the bear with.  .  This bear liked the easy pickings in the cities.  You can't have a "wild" bear running around in a neighbor hood with grade school kids waiting for the schoolbus.  Its to bad the bear died,  I feel he would go back to the easy picking in another town if he was released..  The fall didn't look that bad , they caught him in a net so he didn't hit the ground.

This was a couple hundred yards from my house on Elm st.  The DEC got this bear out of Herkimer acouple of weeks ago.  It must be hard to know how much stuff to knock out the bear with.  .  This bear liked the easy pickings in the cities.  You can't have a "wild" bear running around in a neighbor hood with grade school kids waiting for the schoolbus.  Its to bad the bear died,  I feel he would go back to the easy picking in another town if he was released..  The fall didn't look that bad , they caught him in a net so he didn't hit the ground.

you are right on people safety first iam sure the dec didn't want the bear to die

This has happened way to much . either they over dosed him or he broke his neck falling and hitting branches. either way they need to find another way to remove a bear... i Watched 2 videos on this and never saw any aggression from bear . just like last time this happened .  But last time bear bounced off ground after he was in net...  If there were any danger to humans  they could have just shot him.  But way to many times this technique has resulted in bear dead .....So sad to see one of gods creatures dead for no reason .........Dead-Bear.jpg

I am not trolling but I believe your logic is off.  If you shoot the bear with ammunition its chances of survival are significantly lower than if you shoot it with a tranq.  If there was a better way to relocate, I am sure they would do it.  Secondly, the bear is dead for a reason - It didn't learn the first time.  3rdly, the real thing to take away from this is you don't feed the wild animals.  Even unintentional feeding is bad and 4thly, a lot of these problem bears are coming from communities that do not have strong pressure from hunting.  It is happening all over the country and not just the black bears. 

I feel bad for the bear but not in the typical Disney manner.  I feel bad for it because it didn't know enough to fear humans.  That is why it is sad.  Hopefully, something useful was done with its remains and not just disposed of.

• 1 month later...

Bear one the dart hit a vein and not muscle as intended.   Bear two, there was a second bear a week later spotted crossing the road up near the high school.   The school was locked down.  This bear didn't come into the city like the first and skirted around to the river and hills to the south.  These are probably young bears run off by mom with new cubs.