Probe rigger question

Tried to search this, couldn't find the answer so here goes.

When you install your probe ( I have a moor), what type of release do you use? Do you install it above the probe, or below on the bare metal "break away" portion that goes to the ball. I have always put it on the lower portion just above the ball, but occasionally my line will wrap around the probe (it's 2 feet above). I always use blacks and assumed that below was my only option as I don't want to damage the coated cable...

Am I an idiot? Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

terminate your coated cable with a blacks release. the probe clips to the blacks release then a break away chain from the probe to the weight. the main line now clips into the release above the probe so even as the probe spins out of the water it doesnt wrap around the line

Use a Walker Terminator/Release. This release combines a klincher cable attachment and a blacks release. Drill out the stock rivet holding the swivel so you can use a machine screw to attach wire end for signal cable. Coat with liquid electrical tape. Release will be above probe, breakaway and weight.

dont need clinchers to attach the blacks release. strip some coating off the cable (burning it off and using sand paper to get it back to a sheen works best) and tie it directly to the release with the wire line knot many guys here use to terminate their dipsy rods.  use the rubber tape to cover any exposed wire

I rig the same as you, with Chamberlin release below probe, just keep the rod tip back when lowering this keeps the line away from the probe. I think maybe one twist in over 20 years or when ever the Moore 1st came out. From probe

to weight w release 12" to 14", so I'm pretty close, just remember to keep the rod back when lowering into the water, then you good to let it down to your depth

Edited by scobar