Round Gobies

No question the Gobi impact nesting bass and egg survival rates and other fish reproductive success, as well. Prior to the Gobi, other aggressive species were considered a detriment to various fisheries such as the alewife. The truth is that our Lake O and SLR ecosystem is far more dynamic and resilient than we give it credit for. And any larger ecosystem for that matter. These things take some time to balance out but they do. My simple minded opinion is that abundant forage yields larger breeding fish which produces significantly greater egg production per fish which balances survival rates. Time will tell but that is my optimistic spin on our amazing natural resources. Tight lines to all!

Any fish is prey after it hatches.  I think it is a fore gone conlusion that the Goby will be part of Oneida, Cayuga, Seneca lake and canal.  What that means as far as outlook is hard to say.

"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

It looks to me that the browns have changed there diet over to gobies. All the ones I catch are loaded, with them. Sometime they have 5 or 6 in there bellys and still feeding.

That takes pressure off the alwives and smelt to some degree I would think, and all fish have a certain ability to adapt. 

A Lot of guessing and not much know going on.

I wish DEC would allow people to use them as bait. I would love to throw a minnow trap off the end of my dock and use these little buggers for bass bait. I have used dead ones for small mouth and let me tell you if fish are around it doesn't take long for them to gobble up one of these things. Not for nothing but I have a friend that has caught a bigger sized one of these things and ate it. He said very similar to Tilapia.

X2 Chas!! I though they would make good tip-up bait for northers during ice fishing season. Always wanted to try that.

I could guarantee they would especially those larger ones.

That's if you can get that nasty ass looking fish out of your head so you could at least smell them first, before you open wide and say YUMMY good tasting gobies LOL YUCK!!!

Tman-that's a terrible catch. Lol.

Chinook and esox- esox I think you are correct with how nature can handle itself. I just think like Chinook says, "what is the answer"? I don't think it's just the goby. I think weather changes, pollution, chemicals, over fishing. There is a dramatic amount of changes happening, and it feels like they are accumulating and setting us up for a complete transformation. I moved to Ontario from Manitoba because I wanted to experience the nature and outdoor activities I'd remembered from when I was a child.

In a decade or two alone, the changes have been immense. I love to see the groups and technology working to save us, but you start to see things with your own eyes that tell you we need more help. I don't think it can hurt us to evolve quicker and adapt to what's going on around us. I do believe it can hurt us, if we don't.

The population alone doesn't make sense mathematically with our rates of use and damage, the water and nature are first to go right now, and goby are just adding to this impact. Even if it manages itself out to sustain itself. We won't be part of the equation. Not when it comes to being able to eat the animals safely, or even handle them for that matter. Things like botulism aren't fun for humans to deal with, Never mind if our soils, waters and foods are all Harbouring it. And that's all just from one tiny species of fish.

' sniffle' packing up right now and going fishing before its too late!!!

Edited by Rawbee