Otisco tournament

Steve that is a pretty common thought process but not necessarily accurate...fish do no not just make seasonal movements, they make daily movements dependent on numerous environmental factors and large tigers are frequently caught in shallower water throughout the season (just as they are over deep water).

Let me start this by saying these are my opinions...I am not taking the stance that "this is what I think so this is how it should be"...If rule changes came down to a vote by the entire MI club and there is sound fundamental reasoning behind proposed rule changes, then great - that's exactly how it should work in any club/organization. So with that said:

To say that guys casting shallow water (mind you with 7-10" muskie baits ) are purposly targeting "dinks" is flawed...Haha I'm not really aware of any fisherman who purposly likes to catch small fish but call me crazy maybe consider that a boat doing this is covering water searching for active fish and sometimes those active fish are smaller than the 36" harvest limit...a pretty common tournament strategy. In fact, nobody is preventing Justin or anyone else from utilizing that very same strategy during the tournament. Guys like Nalod, Tigerhunter or BlueEye can share some pics of a fish or 5 that show not everything coming out of the shallows is a dink ;).  Hell, all of us have caught a bunch of dinks tossing big baits over deep water...I may be able to dig those glorious pics up as well.

In my opinion, consistency makes for well-run and enjoyable tournaments. I completely agree with Nalod and Ivan - MI and PMTT use the points system in combination with a big fish format on a nationl level and they don't seem to have any issues with it.  Steve I agree with you - tournaments where fish aren't entered aren't fun...and if tournament participation is the goal, how well does everyone honestly see a tournament run like this appealing to anglers traveling from other areas? I know I wouldn't be interested if say i entered a few mid 30s against an empty field and then my entry fees were raffled off. PS Steve the legal limit on the Niagara is now 54" so I wouldn't hold my breath on filling 3 spots if we hold a tournament there haha.

Again, this should come down to a vote and there should be sound agreeable reasoning behind it...and if this is how it gets voted so be it, I will still fish it because hell it's fishing who the hell doesn't want to fish and it is enjoyable to be out and catch up with everyone. In regards to sending the right message, one would think that the "If I don't get my way then I will take my toys and leave" attitude is counter-productive to sending any positive message at all but hey that's just me.

I don't think it was suggested to not allow everyone to fish how and where they want to. It was only suggested to stop rewarding guys for handling sub legal fish. If we as a group want to send the message to others to let these fish we catch go so that they can grow bigger, and to handle them with the utmost care (and only when necesary) why wouldn't we leave the small fish in the water while released and not take them out to measure unless they are at least within range of being a legal, somewhat mature fish. Let's set an example for others. I belive that was the real reason for the purposed rule change.

Also suggested at the same meeting was the possibility of a casting only event, or trolling only. To help guys step out of their comfort zone and learn/teach something.

I also have to agree that it is obvious this rule change needs to be discussed and voted on, again. But my feelings are as I have said. I am open to hearing others feelings as well though.

Edited by EsoxOnly

I know that was a bit flip and undiplomatic but the point remains that we're never going to please everyone and its a slippery slope. We're using the rules that MI uses nationally, as well as PMTT. Thus I dont see any reason to deviate from that

I know that was a bit flip and undiplomatic but the point remains that we're never going to please everyone and its a slippery slope. We're using the rules that MI uses nationally, as well as PMTT. Thus I dont see any reason to deviate from that

No doubt. After reading everyone's thoughts and opinions, it is clear that this is a mess. Leave it alone and fish. I see participation and lack of interest going down hill fast if rules were to be changed in such a way within our tournament structure. There is a reason MI and the PMTT uses this format. Everyone who fishes muskies deals with undersized fish almost every time they go out when they are on fish. There are tactics you can do and baits you can use to stay away from smaller fish, but it just happens. In the fall, it's not uncommon for me to see 30"ers come on 14" baits. On a side note, it is without a doubt way harder on a larger fish to revive than a smaller fish. None of the tournaments are in the heat of summer, so I see no reason to change a thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FishinNY

Alrighty then. Plenty of good thoughts here and all by guys who only want the best for the fishery. But with under three weeks to go i say leave the rules as they are for this one. We can have a polite discussion on changing things later. To me these tournaments are just a way to nag some of my sons to go out with me. I am 0 for 7 in tournaments but the quality time with my adult sons at these events has been priceless. I may bring a grandson to this one. On another note,what do you guys want to eat this year? I brought the chow last year and i understand there was too much. Input please.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, and they all stink!

so here is mine...

I like the team idea. much rather work with my partner than against him to put fish in the boat. After all, Musky hunting is a team game! it will also put the end to "who actually caught the fish?" if your trolling, did the driver catch it? alternate turns?...

who cares if someone has 3 in the boat, they paid more anyways. maybe limit it at 3 people... or limit the amount of trolling rods they could use. that would be the only good advantage to having multiple people in a boat.

as far as the scoring, leave it as is for now, this could be discussed at a meeting. These are the MI rules, this is a MI event.

we are all responsible fisherman. Catch Pic Release!

Nice catch Old Man!

When we first started the chapter and were discussing rules for tournaments, many of us were more used to tournament formats of prizes based on longest (or heaviest in the case of trout and other gamefish tourneys). We were concerned that nobody would like the MI points system. Now it looks like it may be preferred by more anglers over the1st, 2nd and 3rd longest format. Of course we also have the optional big fish pool which most entrants usually choose to participate in.

Obviously there will be no changes in the scoring or prize structure for the tiger tournament. It definitely will have to be discussed further and vote on any possible changes. It appears at this point that most comments are opposed to any changes. But there does seem to be support for going from individual to team.

One change that we voted on at the January meeting is that anyone who is not a Muskies Inc. member (any chapter) will be charged an additional $10 entry fee. Many other chapters do the same.

Edited by muskiedreams

I am not part of the club yet, but was planning to fish in the Otisco tournament.....my two cents on the subject is that it makes no sense to have individuals compete. It should be by teams. ( # of Angeles per boat limited to 2 or 3). Not that everyone here isn't honest, but individual scoring encourages cheating. Let's say Someone gets a fish early in the day ( regardless of casting or trolling ) then they take their pic with whatever is caught later ( regardless of who caught it) & end up claiming prize $.... Team fishing eliminates the opportunity to cheat...In musky hunter magazine they always show the winners together by team....As far as scoring goes.....I will leave that to the club to decide. I just don't enjoy fishing vs the person in my boat during a tournament....especially if we end up trolling, as many boats will do during an Otisco tournament.

For anyone who wants to bring a youth to the tournament, there is no youth category but Muskies Inc. has a new promotional program to try to get more youths interested. Each chapter can give 10 free youth memberships (under 18 yo). They are with online only magazine and they can not be children of current members. This will qualify them as MI members for the tournament so they don't have to pay the extra $10 entry fee.

Any chance I can get my membership back? This clubs goals do not align well with my goals. BTW I mentioned this BEFORE I joined and nobody had a single thing to say...you all need to worry more about the fishery and less about prizes. I won't support any tournament that scores illegal fish. I for one have no problem not getting any points if can't catch 1 legal fish.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You guys asked us to join you remember? I'm meeting with Trevor this weekend to discuss having a cny group that is interested in conservation and education of young anglers unlike this one

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Justin,

It seems like you are expecting that we can make arbitrarily changes based on what you believe should be done. This is something we cannot do. The members deserve to have a say. Therefore it is just not possible to make significant changes based on a discussion between a few members. There must be further discussion to weigh all the pros, cons and other concerns. At which time members will have a chance to voice their opinions and concerns as well as have an open minded discussion about them. In changing a basic rule of a tournament like that, there will be other rules and/or procedures that will be affected which will have to be discussed as well. This may also mean that other changes will also have to be considered.

The current rules that we are going by are Muskies Inc. general tournament rules. A majority of the chapters as well as other organizations such as the PMTT use the same rules. These are all conservation minded organizations and anglers. There have been many changes to the way we fish and hold tournaments over the years. The biggest changes have been to encourage catch and release with emphasis on methods to minimize mortality and changes in season, size and creel limits.. We all do still enjoy catching muskies and many of us enjoy competing in tournaments. So we must all work together to maintain a healthy balance between still enjoying our sport while practicing practical conservation methods.

That's why I asked the questions at the meeting before I joined...no big deal....keep it. I spent the day yesterday fishing the causeway for tigers with shore guys to see what was happening...lets just say I have plenty to work on here and really don't need a club for what I personally am intereasted in and that's change not cash tourneys. No hard feelings just not what I thought I was joining....the 3 year family membership proved a costly mistake I guess. BTW it's an excellent learning experience if you really wanna know what 8the real issues your fish face you should rub shoulders on shore and talk to people...see what you are up against...see you guys in a week and a half.

That is good if you want to try and educate the shore fisherman. That is really a never ending endeavor. But you really can't compare the practices of an uneducated shore angler to that of  knowledgeable musky anglers competing in a catch and release tournament.

I really don't think that fish pictured can be compared to the condition of a fish released by a responsible angler. That musky does not look like a fresh kill or recent catch. If it was kept by an angler who just threw it on shore without knowledge of or concern for the regulations, it is just not a good comparison. No offense intended here. How shore fisherman handle the fish is a real concern and will be a constant issue. One thing that might help is if we were able to get permission to post educational signage at public access locations such as the causeway. Of course, if they aren't interested in reading them or don't care, there is not much more you can do. Although you might have a few thoughts of what you would like to do with them. :punch:

That's why I asked the questions at the meeting before I joined...no big deal....keep it. I spent the day yesterday fishing the causeway for tigers with shore guys to see what was happening...lets just say I have plenty to work on here and really don't need a club for what I personally am intereasted in and that's change not cash tourneys. No hard feelings just not what I thought I was joining....the 3 year family membership proved a costly mistake I guess. BTW it's an excellent learning experience if you really wanna know what 8the real issues your fish face you should rub shoulders on shore and talk to people...see what you are up against...see you guys in a week and a half.

Justin I am still lost as to why you feel your membership was a costly mistake? Your goals are to enhance the fishery while educating others about safe handling, proper gear, C&R, etc. - the very same goals shared with every member of MI69! Do you really think this club was formed for the sake of cash tourneys...?

From what I gather you're upset with the idea of handling sub-legal fish and rewarding those who do during the tournament yet in your first 2016 report on your website that you posted a link to there you are holding up a sub 36" tiger (and with boga grips nonetheless) and there is nothing wrong with grabbing a quick pic of the fish either (well, maybe not the boga grips) but if you have a problem with the rule of sub-legal tigers being handled in the tournament then this is a tad misleading no?