Need motor help

iceman6409

Ok first off I am going to post this in several different forums so please accept my apologies upfront as I am not sure which forum is best to post this.

Ok. Here is what I am looking for. I am trying to get my boat on the water. I have had this 4 years now with almost no luck. Always engine problems. I have even changed engines once. All I have is a 16' Starcraft aluminum with a 35hp Evinrude outboard engine. Her eis my two problems I need help with. I have had 2 friends with different motor knowledge give me different opinions on this and now I would like a third. First problem - When moving the speed throttle forward I now get very little additional speed above idle. Last year we had the boat going 20-23 mph. I have not had it in the water yet this year but I do fill a garbage can with water. One guy tells me to look at the throttle cable going from the control box, which is an Evinrude Simplex, to the engine. He says it might be frozen or stretched or whatever. I am not a mechanic by any means. I would like someone to come to my house in Irondequoit right next to Seabreeze and tell me if this is true or not. I think it is a very simple replacement if that is the problem. I just need someone to tell me my options. I will leave the second problem for later. We think the motor may be running on one cylinder but we need to know what this cable issue is first before we diagnose that problem. Last year this motor ran well the 2 times we took it on the bay. This is the last problem I have with this boat after all this time and I want to find out for sure what is going on. If by chance I need another new motor then I will deal with that when I have to. All other boat issues are now taken care of except for this. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to help me make this decisive decision. Please respond to [email protected] with any thoughts. Thank you all in advance.

Iceman

If you're only running on all cylinders it won't matter what you do to the cable, how much you advance the spark nor how much gas you put into the engine, it'll only go so fast. On my shakedown cruise a couple years back, I had just replaced plugs on my 3 cylinder envinrude & didn't have one wire on securely. Engine idled out the pierheads great & then didn't go anywhere when I gave it the gas. :$:$:$

Tom B.

(LongLine)

All the above are good recommandations. But 1st check for spark at the plug on both cyl's. Then a compression ck on both cylinder's. Seem's that after 4 year's and no boat I would think about taking it to a reputable repair shop and have it checked out I'm sure they will tell you the strait scoop in a short amount of time.