Chaumont Bay Walleye opener

muskie magnet

Last year I fished the opener in Chaumont and BRB. We did pretty good, all males with milt spewing out of them. As I recall it was a very cold winter and a late spring, giving the weather this year and the fact that the opener is a week later..what does everyone think about the conditions and bite on opening weekend....hope it's a good one !

Going to be cold in the bar this yea too with all this north and east winds, will suck that ice water right in. Should keep the eyes in the bay longer, esp of the bait has not been in yet to spawn!! Good luck guys!!

Capt Rich

I will be up this friday to button up some things on the boat, looking forward to fishing with my buddies. The anticipation is almost as bad as deer season opener, x-mas doesn't hold a candle to this!

Will be there , Tues.- Thurs. Hope we can find a few, if not there's plenty of browns to play with !!

I wish there were plenty of browns to play with... has not been great on the NE End of the Lake for Spring Browns.

Best of luck to everyone and be safe this weekend.  

Good luck to all, yes better than opening day of deer season, no posted signs and all can play where ever!!! Should be good, anytime on the water up there is good! Be up Friday til Monday. Last yr, sat.  launched at 6 am and didn't get off the water till 11pm. Only a few trips a year without the wife and kids where I am able to do that. Hope the opener aint on mothers day next year also. If so she will get over it!!! Weather looking good for sat, sunday a lil soggy. Boats loaded and ready to troll!!!!  Some tuff bites but beautiful eyes!!!

Chas 0218 did you get out today on Chaumont... We caught bass and pickerel ... No walleye ... Did anyone get any walleye ? We are here for 2 more days and I don't know if there even still in the bay.

We ended the weekend with 2 eyes, 2 jack parch, and a 4.5lbs. bass. Fishing was tough but about the same as last year. I had some great screens in the 40-50 range just couldn't get anything going. First time I have ever saw a thermocline in the bay. That water down deep was COLD! I'll see if I can get a few of my screenshots loaded, there was some nice bait in the bay but hardly any arcs around the bait balls. The bait was comprised of perch mostly because shortly after going thru the bait we had perch on.

20160507_085913_zpsq2jmsxny.jpg

IMG_20160507_110030468_zpsnhnvsmne.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

I forgot to mention that the fish are definitely reproducing in the bay one of the 2 walleye caught was a 15.5" little guy. Smallest I have ever caught in the bay, hopefully I will catch him when he is a few years older.

Edited by Chas0218