Chaumont Bay Walleye opener

muskie magnet

Fished the bays all day Saturday and got 1 eye- 9 lbs in 30 FOW on a stick that runs 15' deep.  Fished this morning- started in BRB- 55 degrees surface temp, calm and cold air . Went over to Chaumont, 51 degree surface temp, winds picked up from nothing to a good chop- still nothing.  Marked a lot of fish but nothing wanted to bite- tried everything from 10' on the shoals to 30', sticks, spoons, harnesses different depths........hoping it picks up here with warmer weather.

Tried to fish Sunday in the wind and waves but came up empty, fish monday morning and again marked fish but no takers and it got rough again around 11am so packed it up and headed for home. Wind was not our friend and water temp was still too cold, disappointed ,but still nice to get out. Next year we'll go a week later.

Yes, I'd say and then some ! We fished it all day but it wasn't pretty, My Amish boards did not like it and the fish weren't cooperating anyway. I have a  19.5 ft Lund , what were you fishing out of ?

Edited by muskie magnet

started in BRB at 6 AM, got a small eye in the buoys near the river mouth on a perch original rapala in 10 FOW, trolled it  until 1100, a few bass but no more eyes.  A few guys pulled some in around me- mostly smaller fish which I'm not used to down there.  Hit Chaumont in the afternoon from 4- 8 PM, no eyes but couldn't keep the bass off the line- harnesses, spoons and sticks they were hitting everything- some hit as soon as the lure was 30' behind the boat while letting line out- wish the eyes were that active today..  water temp in BRB warmed to 56 at 1100, temp in Chaumont was 53 for highest read at 6 PMF.  Fshed Chaumont in 10-35 FOW. Going back to BRB in the morning and will post results tomorrow- good luck out there.

Keep us posted on this page as to how the fishing is...Im interested to see when it picks up and at what water temp they really turn on so I can plan my trip up there better for next year. Pretty disappointing this year, last year we caught 6 opening day, this year none in 2.5 days, although the bay was rough all day sunday.

Fished Chaumont this morning and didn't move a rod. Tried in the Bay and ran out to the tip of Long Point. Tried riggers, boards and lead cores. Deep diver, spoons , and stickbaits. 10-45 fow. Never marked much except some marks on the bottom. No bait marked but saw some dimpling on the tip of Long Point. Never saw a net moved on any other boat. Thought warm weather might get them going but I guess not.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Sorry to hear that kevin. Certainly a beautiful to be on the water. Too bad the eyes were not in the mood to dance. Sounds like you worked hard and gave them quite a menu to choose from. Hopefully things will heat up soon.

Still having a tough time finding any patterns.  Fished everyday since the opener except today.  Averaging about one or two a day but no pattern to it- one in 10 FOW on a shadow rap long line, one at 20' in 25 FOW with a deep running stick off a board, one small one (15")  in the buoys at BRB. most have been normal size around here 5- 9 lbs.  Got a report of guys catching em 30 FOW off bullrock  tried that- nothing, been all over Chaumont, 3 mile, Guffins, long point, Shangri-La area, BRB.  Have seen water surface temps go from 49 to 66 a few days ago now back down to 52.  Talked to a lot of folks and no pattern to the small numbers being caught from what I can tell.  Catchin a lot of smallies and northerns along the way, so it keeps it interesting, but compared to past few years up here a bit challenging. Will be back on the water Tuesday thru the following week and hope something changes.  Good luck out there.

That's the tough part about that area. A lot of people think they can come from Oneida lake and catch the same numbers just bigger and it I just isn't the case. Chaumont is a hard bay to fish because of its size and how scattered the fish are. On the opener we trolled 30 miles worth of the bay and only got 2 fish to show for it. Keep at it at least you're getting a couple fish here and there.

Edited by Chas0218

We fished Black River Bay Wednesday night, all day Thursday and Friday morning. Thursday night we launched in Dexter, floated down the river and tried the bay near the mouth of the river. We caught two walleyes 3.5 and 4 pounds. The only action we had had was on worm rigs on bottom bouncers trolled very slowly. There did not appear to be much action and the guys at the launches had pretty much the same results as we did.

Saturday we fished the SLR Saturday out of Grass Pointe State Park. Had one strike which broke the line. Probably a Northern. Talked to some guys who targeted and caught some perch in Eel Bay. Our original plan was to leave Sunday morning, would not have fished anyway due to the weather. Fishing was rough, the weekend was good.

While we were launching the boat Saturday in Dexter,talked to a local fisherman that live his whole life in Dexter, he says either the DEC or the federal govt have gill nets set up by the bridge and down towards the bay in the river trying to catch lampreys , the nets by the bridge aren't getting any walleye in it at all. So he thinks they either never moved in like years past , possibly cus the water is low there unlike other past springs,,,, they are getting a few walleye in the other nets but not many...

It is a wonderful place, my personal best came from it at 14.5 lbs unfortunately I have not been up, boats still have winter covers on them hope to be up soon, cold water means shallow and slow, chaos still will take that beer maybe this summer

Alright, I will be up all summer starting June 25th. What kind of beer do you like I'm a Bud fan but not many people like that stuff anymore. I'll PM you with details or we can meet up over at Snug harbor or Shangri-la. Your pick!