Chaumont Bay Walleye opener

muskie magnet

Heading up from maryland for 1st of our yearly trips just hope to catch something walleyes be a bonus anything else hitting yet?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fished Chamont/3 mile in the morning and had 3 eyes- landed one 7 lb, lost a big one at the boat due to old leader that should have been changed out 25 smallmouths ago and lost another due to a rookie mistake with a prop, crossed lines and wind.......so better today than past week.  All were caught on purple sticks in 12-20 FOW.  Lots of smallies hitting the sticks in 10-16 FOW, but no northerns or pickerel today for a change. West wind caused me to move to Guffins this afternoon where we lost another eye 10' from the net- new fisherman got excited and horsed it a bit......so, after 10 days on the water today is the first day we seemed to get a slight increase in activity, if only we could do our part.......slowed trolling spped down a bit  today to 1.2-1.5 mph; ran harnesses as well but nothing hit except for smallies

Yea that sounds better, maybe with the warm front coming, that might kick them up a little also. Thanks for the report!!

Seems to be picking up a bit, did 2 yesterday in Chaumont Bay and 2 this morning in BRB- purple sticks were hot, now today it was perch colored; bite seems to be OK from 5:30-am until 7:30 then it shuts down- bass went from about 10-15 per morning/afternoon to 2 all day today in same areas.......not great #s on eyes, but a noticeable change over past two days.  Al caught recetley were in 18-25FOW.

Was out in BRB yesterday. Water temps coming up finally 54-58. Baitfish balls like crazy along south shore. Trolled thru at various depths, not marking much for bigger arches near bait. Was a lot of boats out Did mark one good one, shortly after had something hit and cut line above bait, not happy on that as it was only one I had like that! Ordered 2 more now. Caught one 10lb pike, a small eye, might have been legal, threw back, rather have 4-6lb for eating. One smallmouth and a white bass. Better weather than last weekend! Could keep boat on course and not headed wherever the wind/waves blew it!

I'll be up this friday thru monday I'll update if I get any. This past weekend was a work weekend and ended up putting on our new metal roof so I didn't get out after those marble eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. People should mind own business...... I am not a fan of bass fishing this time of year myself..... but it is perfectly legal to do so if someone wanted to.... With artificials and C&R. Does this person think that they have special enforcement rights?? Get a life!!

Ahhh...... The Jefferson County Special Regulations....... I stand corrected and apologize for the misstatement of information.

Still, Barney Fife handing out flyers seems pretty passive aggressive to me. As sportsmen we should be able to openly communicate with each other.

Fished Chaumont today. Marked some bait but no walleyes or pike today. Caught 4 drum, a perch, a silver bass , a pickerel, and a few smallmouths. Folks I took enjoyed the drums fight and they were the biggest fish they had ever caught but not what I was looking for. Guess it's back to the SLR for me.

It's the same in front of our place, and unfortunately it's rarely out of ignorance. It's often the same boats week after week and season after season. Many in the area have had enough, and I don't blame them. I tell my 6 and 9 old to leave the bass alone and just enjoy watching them, then have to explain why all these adults keeping pulling up to the dock and catching them off the beds. I'm not that interested in bass fishing myself, but I am interested in teaching my children about being good sportsman. It's certainly not the end of the world, but I can't blame someone for deciding they are going to try and stop something they believe is wrong (and illegal). If our DEC wasn't so understaffed, people wouldn't be so brazen. Just my 2 cents.

Thats a good point mccoy. I think as sportsmen we should promote education of our natural resources to protect them for ourselves and future generations...... But what do u do about guys that dont give a what-what? It is disappointing and frustrating for sure. Those guys need more than a flyer that is for sure. Which was kinda my point.......The flyer is just going to aggravate ethical anglers and mean absolutely nothing to chronic offenders. The gentlemen that is doing this is better off communicating with these anglers directly? Not an easy situation for sure. The Dec is definitely understaffed.