Hit the water at 5am this morning on my buddy's boat for his first time with his new ride on Lake O to see about rigging it up (he normally fishes for walleye). We started targeting browns in shallow (10-20 fow) and worked our way east running 3 inlines and 3 long lines off the back with an assortment of spoons and sticks. Water temp was 42 degrees and very clear. We had two short hits on a larger Bay Rat black/UV stick but didn't hook up. We then swung out deeper to look for lakers and any kings/steelies that might be in the area and switched the three long lines over to two wires and a mono slider diver pulling spin docs/flies and echips/flies, and two of the inlines over to a short copper and 5-color core with spoons. Didn't take long before the 150' wire (1-setting) pulling the UV Wonderbread Spin Doc/shredded Atommik hammer fly got whacked! Switched over the 250' (3-setting) wire to same rig and then it was GAME ON! Ended up boating 10 lakers 8-18 lbs. No kings, but a beautiful morning on the lake!! All lakers came on the wires over 90-110 fow running 2.8-3.0 sfc speed. Saw a few others hook up and land lakers as well in the same area.  

post-139632-0-97208000-1462045111_thumb.jpeg

post-139632-0-28557600-1462045125_thumb.jpeg

post-139632-0-57693000-1462045156_thumb.jpeg

post-139632-0-05442800-1462045169_thumb.jpeg

post-139632-0-38682000-1462045184_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Finders Keepers

The gin clear water today didn't help with the browns - I was hoping some of the colored water yesterday would stick around... Which Bay Rats produced for you? We had an assortment out but only the UV/black Bay Rat (not sure of the name) enticed them. We did see a few fish make rings at the surface early and saw one porpoise through our prop wash, but couldn't get them to go...

The wire dipsies will run deeper/shallower based on your speed, water currents, water density, and what you are running behind them (spoon vs. FF). However, we generally run 2.4-2.7 down speed pulling FF's and will see a 3:1 ratio for a 1-setting (300 ft of wire out will get the dipsy down 100') and 5:1 ratio for a 3-setting (500 ft of wire out will get the dipsy down 100'). Again, that varies based on the above so minor adjustments are needed. 

Thanks Bosun Cowboy, I like the looks of that stickbait! 

That boat that you were fishing out of is a SeaNymph isn't it

Yes I believe it was. An upgrade from a row boat for him, so he was stoked to see how he could use it to fish on Lake O! He's got some gear to invest in if he wants to continue to pursue kings as his rod holders (plastic Bass Pro units) will not take the strength of a king's hit and he doesn't have riggers yet. But for browns and lakers we did ok! A little jimmy-rigging but we made it work...

Thanks finders keepers, I never new the difference in the 3 rd setting! I usually run flasher flys too so thanks again!

No problem! We're more than happy to offer info to help get anglers more fish in the net and to be more successful on the water! As I told my buddy Jake, every boat runs different and while something may be banner on one boat, it may not work as well on another - we've all seen days where we'll be running the exact same thing side by side with another boat right down to the size of the clips and one boat will smoke 'em while the other in the same area struggles. So we always show anglers what works for us and encourage them to tweak it as necessary for their boat. We'll be at the Field & Stream in Henrietta this coming Sat from 9-3 with our tourney boat if anyone wants to pick our brains for ideas, see how to run anything (wire set-ups, copper, planer boards or inlines, etc.) or operate different gear (how to rig and set a downrigger, difference in clips, stackers and sliders, etc.) - with the boat on-site we can show anglers first-hand how it all works and different ways of rigging! We're also happy to just talk fishing too!

I could tell my dad has a Ss 170 from your pics I could tell the windshield and rails looked the same. Nice boats his is around a 1975 and still running strong

We got out Sat afternoon as well.  It was a little too cold out on the main lake for my company so we took a troll around I-Bay.  Thundersticks on boards were taking fish over 70ft.  Ended up with one nice Atlantic ~10 lbs, a Brown ~8lbs and lost one big one (not sure what it was) near the boat when it jumped and broke the line.  All in all was a nice afternoon.  I was surprised to see fish in the bay itself as I have never fished there before.

We got out Sat afternoon as well. It was a little too cold out on the main lake for my company so we took a troll around I-Bay. Thundersticks on boards were taking fish over 70ft. Ended up with one nice Atlantic ~10 lbs, a Brown ~8lbs and lost one big one (not sure what it was) near the boat when it jumped and broke the line. All in all was a nice afternoon. I was surprised to see fish in the bay itself as I have never fished there before.

What boat were you in?

MNChris, on 02 May 2016 - 7:36 PM, said:

attachicon.gifAtlantic.JPGMy boat is a 1970's era red and white trihull.  Here is a pic of the Atlantic (I believe it is an Atlantic, but it is the first one I have ever caught).  

Brown?