Tried buckets

Any certain way to drill holes?

The idea is to make the hole so the bucket will let enough water through the bottom to make it go straight behind the rope. I think that a 3 or 4 inch hole in the center of the bottom  should take care of that.But maybe you will have to go bigger.I've seen people who put a five inch hole and they are happy with it.

Any certain way to drill holes?

If the bucket troll is your only option vs bags. Drill 3 inch hole dead center of bottom of bucket. Then circle that 3 inch hole with 1" holes half way between edge of bucket and 3" hole. Use two separate pieces of rope. 1 for the bucket and 1 for connecting to rope on bucket. Tie a loop in the Rope that is connected to both sides of your bucket. Make sure that Loop is in the center. Now for drilling the holes? That is up to you. Hole saw kit is what I used. Cheap ones at home Depot are under 10 bucks. Will include multiple sizes under 1.5". Might have to buy 3" separate. Or just put 3- 1.5" holes in center of bucket. I used this method before I got the trolling bags you might want to just save yourself a lot of headache, time and trouble and locate yourself a pair of good trolling bags that is what I ended up doing. Once again there is a pair of great trolling bags on the classified section. good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So do the holes in the buckets cause friction?

Any drag is friction. But the holes are put there to allow the water to escape. The bucket will just flop back and forth and Slam against your boat. if you do not have the holes. The holes help keep the buckets stable. Also allows you to adjust the drag /pull. Just add more holes but you can never go backwards.

I'm also trying to stay on a tight budget. I found a few different choices on amazon. These are going to cost a little more than a couple of buckets, but they're still very affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_3?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A3408951%2Ck%3Adrift+sock&sort=price-asc-rank&keywords=drift+sock&ie=UTF8&qid=1462147549&rnid=2941120011

Edit:  As I'm shopping around and doing my own research, I've come to realize that the bags in the link might not hold up as well as the amish outfitters or papa bags. Might be better than buckets, though.

Edited by nomis

My boat is also a 20 foot cuddy and the nauticus tabs worked. They are also out of the way when netting and setting lines.

I agree the tabs are nice. As stated earlier in forum. This guy is on a tight budget. Bags and tabs are comparable in price. Trying to leave him money for fuel so he can be on water more. Happy Fishing.

I'm also trying to stay on a tight budget. I found a few different choices on amazon. These are going to cost a little more than a couple of buckets, but they're still very affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_3?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A3408951%2Ck%3Adrift+sock&sort=price-asc-rank&keywords=drift+sock&ie=UTF8&qid=1462147549&rnid=2941120011

Edit:  As I'm shopping around and doing my own research, I've come to realize that the bags in the link might not hold up as well as the amish outfitters or papa bags. Might be better than buckets, though.

Did you try G2 outfitters as I suggested ? Buy them once and be done with it. What your link went to are garbage. G2s are reinforced 2" straps with some HD material that are sewn together by the Amish. They are not" Amish" trolling bags,they are better and heavier duty. They also have a video on you tube that shows them in action.

Guys the link on Amazon goes to DRIFT bags, not TROLLING bags. Big difference. Each has its proper place. Being on a budget myself, I bit the bullet and bought Big Papa bags. They are a less $$ than Amish, but supposed to be just as good. I can't speak for G2. Whatever you do, don't buy drift bags. They will rip out in a season or less. That 20' cuddy your trying to slow down carries a lot of momentum in the water. That constant tugging is a lot of force. I cannot speak about buckets. I know a lot of guys start out with them and eventually squeeze bags into the budget. I was weary of them banging off my hull all the time, not to mention that wire handle anywhere near my prop if something should go wrong. It's all a give and take. As a matter of fact, I think just about everyone has something they would improve/change about their rig if the budget was there for it.