Tried buckets

Thats exactly why I edited my post. Didn't want to mislead anyone.

Now I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm personally working on a very tight budget. After spending thousands on restoring a boat and upgrading to big water equipment, those higher quality bags are just not part of the plan. 

The ones I have used ate called sea anchors. I never had an issue but for your buckets this is what I have done in the past.

Get yourself 4 eye bolts and bolt them thru the sides of the bucket 1"down the rim attach eyes using fender washers and a extra nut. Take a rope run it thru the eye and tie a knot, do this for both eyes. Take rope on bucket and tie a loop in rope trying to keep the ends the same. Attach rope to the loop and boat cleat done.

I ran the buckets without holes but it might keep the buckets from collapsing on you. If the buckets want to collapse take a chunk of wood and drill 2 holes the size of the nuts of your eyes squeeze bucket and slid wood in.

If you can't afford the eye bolts run larger diameter rope thru the holes instead and knot the ends inside the bucket. Either way will work.

Edited by Chas0218

Guys the link on Amazon goes to DRIFT bags, not TROLLING bags. Big difference. Each has its proper place. Being on a budget myself, I bit the bullet and bought Big Papa bags. They are a less $$ than Amish, but supposed to be just as good. I can't speak for G2. Whatever you do, don't buy drift bags. They will rip out in a season or less. That 20' cuddy your trying to slow down carries a lot of momentum in the water. That constant tugging is a lot of force. I cannot speak about buckets. I know a lot of guys start out with them and eventually squeeze bags into the budget. I was weary of them banging off my hull all the time, not to mention that wire handle anywhere near my prop if something should go wrong. It's all a give and take. As a matter of fact, I think just about everyone has something they would improve/change about their rig if the budget was there for it.

X2x2x2

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree the tabs are nice. As stated earlier in forum. This guy is on a tight budget. Bags and tabs are comparable in price. Trying to leave him money for fuel so he can be on water more. Happy Fishing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I hear what you are saying however. I also work on a tight budget but I would rather skip a day on the water and put that fuel and ramp fee savings towards bags. I used to do the bucket trick and I "thought" it was great till I saved up for a set of used bags. The difference is amazing. To me personally I would rather miss a day or two on the water to spend the rest of my days on the water that much more enjoyable. Just my two cents. But yes the buckets will work if your only trying to knock off a mph

Guys the link on Amazon goes to DRIFT bags, not TROLLING bags. Big difference. Each has its proper place. Being on a budget myself, I bit the bullet and bought Big Papa bags. They are a less $$ than Amish, but supposed to be just as good. I can't speak for G2. Whatever you do, don't buy drift bags. They will rip out in a season or less. That 20' cuddy your trying to slow down carries a lot of momentum in the water. That constant tugging is a lot of force. I cannot speak about buckets. I know a lot of guys start out with them and eventually squeeze bags into the budget. I was weary of them banging off my hull all the time, not to mention that wire handle anywhere near my prop if something should go wrong. It's all a give and take. As a matter of fact, I think just about everyone has something they would improve/change about their rig if the budget was there for it.

You may have shot yourself in the foot.  Here's why:

The Big Papa uses a measurement to size their bags different than the Amish Outfitters bags.  As an example, the Big papa 28" inch bag is much smaller than the 28" Amish outfitters bag.  In this case the BigPapa bag opens to an open diameter of 17.8" when compared to the 28" Amish outfitters bag.  Both 28" bags are priced within a few dollars but in order to get to the full 28" open diameter in the Big papa's you'd need to buy the 42" (which would still be a little smaller) and still pay about $15 more than the Amish Outfitters.

From Amish Outfitters:

link-

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=963b0b4d2d96e24fbc7860de4bc23956These bags come in seven sizes. All sizes are measured in open diameter.

From the Big papa web site:

Link-

http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/trolling_bags.htm

6 size bags for every boat size - Size is measured along the curve of the wide end when the bag is laying flat.

On my 23' proline with 150 outboard I can run 2 18" bags and at idle I do 0.8 mph with about 1700rpm I can get 2 mph.

Good info, but useless unless you can say what that 18" means...  Is it the bags open diameter?