post-139690-0-86866900-1462118026_thumb.jpg

post-139690-0-10796900-1462118095_thumb.jpg

post-139690-0-25443700-1462118152_thumb.jpgLate report arrived in Oz on Tuesday and fished until Friday. Had a great trip. Wednesday and Thursday were the best with over 40 browns boated. Water is crystal clear. If you can find the Green stained water stay with because its loaded. We ended up fishing mostly west of Oz all the way down to Fairhaven to find pockets of the green water near shore. Biggest Browns were two that just went over 12 pounds. We also tangled with 2 Kings but did not stand a chance with 10 pound Fluro leader on. Fish were caught in 10 feet of water or less. Mostly off of boards run right up along the shore. Weighted stinger spoons were the best with only a couple coming on sticks.

Not sure why you say you don't stand a chance with 10lb Floro, that's all I use for the spring and catch numerous kings on it. If you have quality gear, and the drags are working properly, good knots, you should have no problem landing those kings!! Nice report glad to see you were able to get some of those brownies to go!!!

Capt Rich

Nice Report we where there until Monday.Caught tons of Browns some lakers and kings.  we are heading back up for Memorial day weekend.  I take it we will be in deeper water with down riggers, is that correct?  I haven't fished it in late may before any tips are appreciated.

10# floro all season long on trout rods. Last spring we landed 7 or 8 kings inside of 20ft. Of water on those rods. I only remember dropping 1, and it was not a breakoff. As Rich said, decent equipment is all you need. Good luck

Thank you dvdegeorge for fixing my pics!!.

Rich D and On the lam, I'm not taking offense to your comments "all you need is good equipment"  because I'm sure thats not how you meant it ..... And I'm not the type of guy to get butt hurt....HOWEVER.... I do have good equipment, I have all Penn reels and very good(and expensive) rods. I tie very good knots. These were very large kings that took out over 300 feet of line in the first two minutes of battle and jumped multiple times in 4 feet of water. They must have inhaled the small spoon because the line was chaffed 6 inches up from the break from their sharp teeth, hence the "I didn't stand a chance to land them" comment I made. A charter boat fishing in the same area I was in bumped into the same group of kings we did and they got beat bad also, however they did land a couple today. :)  

I'm sure your all set up with proper equipment, didn't mean to imply you werent, but these are early spring kings taken in shallow water on light tackle 10# Seaguar floro leaders. Rigger rods are 7'Taloras with size 15 Okumas. Some came on short core with the same leaders. Good luck on those sharks.

20150509_071718_zpsuj29co8b.jpg

20150509_071623_zps6sjyyrvv.jpg

20150508_080155_zpszfsn8usb.jpg

20150514_085337-1_zpsarx6s1i6.jpg

20150522_102449_zpskcbx442f.jpg

Steel;

IMHO 10 lb test is way too light for Lake O trout or salmon, I have been running 20 lb fluorocarbon for the last 20 years, & have no problem getting bit regularly by shallow water fish.  If you do catch & release, it takes too long to land the fish on 10 lb, & the fish may not survive due to the extended fight/exhaustion. 

John

My answer to Icemans opinion is he is entitled to his opinion. 10# is not to light for spring kings. Usually 5 to 18 lbs. The advantage to light line is spoon action compared to 20# lighter is better IMO for more bites. Unless you use light line you will never know. Additionally releasing cold water fish in spring is no problem. Spring fish ALWAYS swim away.

If anyone fishes steelhead in winter knows 3,4,5 lb. Test is the norm for clear cold water. Big steelhead are caught and released on much lighter line than 10# and fought and released to fight again.

Take it for what it's worth, to each his own. BTW I will graduate to 12, then 15# Seaguar as the season wears on. No higher for spoons unless it's pre spawn spoon fishing in late August and September then it's 20#. Good luck

X2 on OTL statement!!! Spring fish will swim away every time unless gill hooked. I fish the tribs many days with 2-4lb leader!!! Lighter line will get bite many times more than heavier line. In Oz this week for the summer looking for those earl season bullets!!!!

Capt Rich

If you had line chaff, with a long run in shallow water you angle of the line was probably rubbing on mussels.  If you hit a king in short water it is always a good move to have the driver head for deeper water as soon as possible

My answer to Icemans opinion is he is entitled to his opinion. 10# is not to light for spring kings. Usually 5 to 18 lbs. The advantage to light line is spoon action compared to 20# lighter is better IMO for more bites. Unless you use light line you will never know. Additionally releasing cold water fish in spring is no problem. Spring fish ALWAYS swim away.

If anyone fishes steelhead in winter knows 3,4,5 lb. Test is the norm for clear cold water. Big steelhead are caught and released on much lighter line than 10# and fought and released to fight again.

Take it for what it's worth, to each his own. BTW I will graduate to 12, then 15# Seaguar as the season wears on. No higher for spoons unless it's pre spawn spoon fishing in late August and September then it's 20#. Good luck

OTL:

Which is it 10lb all year long like you said first,  or go heavier later??? Also, guess all of your released fish swim away?? I have caught a lot of 20lb + Kings in the Spring, so 20 lb is it for me.

Have a nice day.

John

I'll clear it up for you Iceman, I know this has always been a problem for you.

It's 10# on all the spring trout rods "all year long" then there are spoon rods just dedicated to kings, they have 15# mainline, and leadered down to 12 ot 14#

Then there are rods for flea season and FF or meat rigs, which have 40# main, and leadered down to 15 ot 20# for spoons.

Yea all fish swim away am 20 plus lb kings, yup, pleanty, but I referred to the AVERAGE size of spring kings, all age classes are caught, not just spawning age fish. Hope this clears things up for you. Run whatever you want, good luck.

Edited by on the lam