I usually have to take the drive to Narby's and if they don't have it I go to Newfane and see my buddy at ASB Tackle. He always has meat strips

I have experimented with grocery store fish . Sardines and smelt mostly . If you use fish from the store you must brine them before using for bait. i have a  a letter from the DEC law enforcement unit stating that store bought fish can be used if you certify that they have been brined .. If you look back on my very early posts . all the information is available there . I had limited success with the experiment . The sardines are very soft and don't last .Store bought herring strips are still number 1 in my experience . It's too early for bait . You don't need it for the fish that are available now . It would be a waste of money to use bait to target oil cans {lake trout }  Start using bait in late July and beyond .

Edited by chinook35

It all depends on where he is fishing. A lot of the Tourney boats are running meat on the west end for kings as of last weekend and getting kings on it.

check the south shore fishing reports . I tried to post all the info about homemade cut bait on this thread , buy it ended up over there . These post are from 2008 when Rhys Davis got out of the cut bait business in the US