Seneca National Trout Derby

This will be the first year a friend and myself will be fishing the NLTD.  What can I expect?  My friend has dock access near Starkey Point so i'm thinking that I will put the boat in the day before and tie up to the dock instead of messing around at a launch the morning of the tournament.  

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by jimalbert

We have done well down there and a little further north as well.  Hopefully it wont be like last year, we fished two days but didn't enter into the tournament and it was nasty.  I told my buddy that if were gonna fish we might as well enter because you just never know.  I think i am going to head up Wednesday night or Thursday morning to feel it out and head home late Monday or early Tuesday.  

On another note, I wanted to say thanks to all of the guys on here that have helped me get started trolling.  This is a completely new venture for me but the information you guys have offered me has landed us a bunch of fish and tons of enjoyment.

Thanks once again,

Jim

Waves can get very bad , will be on a lift ?

I was thinking the same thing Rabbit. . If you are tying up to a dock make sure you spin the bow so it's facing out into the Lake and your trim is up all the way and some good bumpers.. Good spot to fish all thru that area and the other side for that matter too... Good luck..

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It certainly wouldsave "messing around", but think of what could happen.  You don't mess with Seneca Lake. You would probably be awake all night worrying about your boat.  Not worth the risk.  Bite the bullet and launch in morning. Safe is better.

Hop is right and he definitely knows what he's talking about :)  Not worth chancing the wrath of the Seneca gods.

Unfortunately the boat wouldn't be on a lift.  Now that all of you have deterred me from leaving it in against the dock, I will just launch in the morning.  From what I have seen in the past, Severne isn't hard hit and it shouldn't be an issue.  The other thing I thought about after you guys mentioned not leaving the boat in the water overnight is that I would have to pull all of my gear and put it in my truck also.  That would be a royal PITA.  

One other thing I wanted to mention is that I did the newest firmware upgrade to my Garmin 73dv that includes the QuickDraw functionality.  Essentially it records the depth/topo information and writes it to a file that will overlay on the standard map.  My current maps, the LakeVu HD maps from Garmin, are way off on Seneca.  I ended up dragging gear for a longer time than I ever intended to because of it.  I will let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks Again Guys

Jim

Edited by jimalbert