Cannon rigger slipping on way up

Are you using braid? Sometimes braid will slip around a spool if it's not loaded correctly. You spool up a reel in a warm room and then take that warm reel fishing early in the morning where the cold air contracts the spool and the line slips around it. As the day warms up, the spool expands and tightens the spooled line up again. If your rigger has braid, maybe it's slipping around the spool? Just a thought.

Edited by Thun

sounds like it...mine would slip every quarter turn until it tripped the breaker when it went. Teeth wore down too far to make good contact with motor gear. Buy a spare bc I believe they are discontinued from cannon now.

Just out of curiosity, what size weights are you running? I have the older Mag 10A's and they are slow but steady. I limit my weights to 10 pounds because I am afraid to put any more weight and stress on them.

I only run 8 lb weights on it..... I called fish 307 and he said there is a set screw in the middle of the cable wheel that has a whistle stop on the driveshaft ...Take the cable off.... Check the set screw.... Says they have a tendency to back out..... Thanks for all of the input... I will try this and report my findings...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Strip it off on the deck of the boat letting it pile as it wants to. Tighten the screw and hand wind a couple passes on the screw then power it on paying attention and tensioning it with a leather glove. If you dont shuffle the pile of cable, it should pickup fairly tangle free.

I had one doing the same thing last year and I wound up having to replace the drive gear as well. It was not hard to take it apart to inspect the gear. I got a replacement from fish307 as well. 

Have you had it apart ?

Does it trip the breaker ? If so it could be the housing is cracked where the motor shaft sets in the housing....

Same symptoms and same diagnosis on my old mag 10's. I sold them but the guy who bought them put new housings on them and they're good as new. Fish 307 has the housings.

10a,s housing are hard to find , the 10 do NOT fit , donot ask me how I know...LOL .....anyone need 4 mag 10 housings...... I have a few ideas on how too jury rig a repair if you can not find one.... I could try it on a few of my old craked ones in the barn...

Epoxy? If done right that should be just as strong as the housing. And drill out the crack ends.

Good luck, they're worth saving.

If you end up having to replace them the new Mag 5's will accept the long booms and swivel bases you have (I'm assuming you have these).

Edited by BottomDollar