Scent spray thoughts.

I have been giving some thought to trying some scent sprays on my lures, blades, and jigs this year for walleye. Hears some things that I have done and seen that has made me curious to try it on eyes. I realize some species are different but you think about a shark and they can smell blood a mile away. I seen a guy loose a twister tail that he sprayed with gulp alive off the end of his dock. About two hours later a bass swam by, stopped dead and sucked it up off the bottom as it sat there. I could think there would be no other reason for that fish to do that but scent. I have also personally had a friend fishing on my boat for trout and salmon who sprayed his spoons with WD40 of all things and they were the only lures that got touched that day. He tried to say something like an oil slick trail, blah blah But was there something to it, I don't know but I couldn't argue with the results that day.

What's everyone else's take on scent? Do you believe in it? If so what and how do you use it?

I will say I breed tropical fish ( mostly plecos) they are bottom feeders and hide in caves most of the time. I feed them cucumbers that float so when the fish is in a cave they can't see cucumbers but smell them very fast. So I think most people underestimate how well fish smell

Alewife oil!!!!! got to freeze um and squeeze um, like to soak a few sticks in it before I troll, its what they feed on in the fingers and Ontario. when i cast and get them, i like a stick bait  with teeth marks or texture so it holds the scent a little longer, rub that alewife all over the stick.......it works......got to match it. 

All I will say is this, do I believe it attracts fish, no. If you plan on helping me set a walleye spread in my boat, you had better take a drop of my Berkeley Powerbait Juice and rub it in. The same thing is you handle a rod or lure. I truly believe it Knocks "foreign" scents down for walleye.

I am a firm believer in scents and my friends will agree since they don't own them.  I am almost always the first to catch a walleye and after the 2nd my tube makes its way around the boat.  Use it ice fishing too. 

I always rinse my hands in the lake water and wipe my hands off good on my boat towel that has had fish slim and guts all over it. I don't generally wash it it just stays on the boat and the rain washes it. Might be why I don't have an issue putting fish in the boat, but I generally don't use any scents.

The WD40 thing has been around for years but is mostly a myth or superstition and it is a pollutant so with all the legitimate scents out there today why not go with one (or more) biofriendly  one  of them. The shad scent seems to work pretty good for me and I use it on attractors as well as flies.

Sk8.... That is an excellent point. I know several fisherman who swear by it. Yet gasoline is known to deter fish from biting if it ends up on your terminal gear. WD is a petroleum distillate so it would seem counter intuitive that it acts as a fish attractant. The environmental impact would give u pause even if it was effective.

As an aside, I read an article a few years ago in In Fisherman about walleye pros using Preparation H as an attractant to give them an edge in tournaments with some degree of success.... Perhaps a bit more environmentally friendly and worth a few laughs too, lol

Some interesting thoughts here. I think I'm going with the idea that it might mask any type of unusual scents from handling the lures themselves. I thought of the hunting aspect where scent control is huge and we are always trying to cover our scent. But then again who's not hanging some doe on heat scent to try and draw them in.

I will say I tried some Berkeley shad scent this weekend and couldn't tell you if it worked or not but can honestly say it couldn't have hurt any.

I used to like fish formula but since I usually have sambucca in my flask during ice fishing season I have rubbed a little of it on my lure and it seemed to work the few times I didn't have my scent with me.  Lakers and rainbows love the stuff, they must have Italian roots.....

The WD40 thing has been around for years but is mostly a myth or superstition and it is a pollutant so with all the legitimate scents out there today why not go with one (or more) biofriendly  one  of them. The shad scent seems to work pretty good for me and I use it on attractors as well as flies.

Not mostly a myth it is a myth and your right there is no need to put that in the water i'm not a tree huger but there are a lot of scents out there