Fixed cheater/slider help please!

I have read a lot of info on this and still am a little unsure of how it works .... I am mainly interested in fixing a slider to my main line with an off shore release or the like, what I don't understand is how does the clip release when a fish hits with such a small distance between it , the end of the slider leader and the main line ? I'm assuming you would use a pinch pad style release so the slider actually could slide down the line after a hook up. Or does that stay in place all the while I am fighting a fish and I just reel that up till the fish is in the net .... Thanks for the advice in advance.

We don't use a release unless your gonna stack on your rigger cable. Michigan Stinger makes a cheater snap which I use to set a second spoon to my mainline and when a fish hits it it slides to the bottom which pops the release on rigger. Other wise known as a cheater line or called a mupped line.

There are many ways to do it both in terms of the free slider and the fixed slider so that may be the reason for the confusion. Any way that works is the way to go :)

If going the free slider way just a couple of swivel snaps  on the end of a 6 to 8 ft fluoro leader do it for me or for a fixed slider I use my own home made version of release with a rubber band in it afixed to the downrigger cable at one end and the other attached to a rubber band. The clip part is a trot line clip ( for catfish etc.) with shrink wrapped duolock snap attached. I think Jann's Netcraft used to carry to trot line clips.

post-145411-0-27993100-1462401698_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Usually I run free sliders. I will at times fix them though and I use the Offshore Stacker release. I set the one pad deep on the rigger cable and set the other pad with the line light in the pad so it pulls free easily.

Edited by Firechief48

The absolute best way I have found to do this is to use an Offshore Tackle OR-19 release. I have used free sliders and many types of poorly designed fixed sliders but none of them come close to being as effective or having the longevity of working day after day. The Michigan stinger shown above is basically done after 1 decent fish. Elberta clippers are better but will eventually degrade and either fail or cut the main line.

All you have to do is tie your slider as you normally would but before tying the swivel on the second end, slide the OR-19 on the line of the slider and finishing tying the swivel. Sounds confusing but the release will simply slide freely on your slider line and can easily attach to the main line to hold it in place prior to getting a bite. The idea is extremely simple and very effective even though this isn't what these particular releases were designed for. Once the slider takes a bite you'll also have a much more positive hook up, especially if you keep your rigger rod wrenched real tight.

A couple helpful tips if anyone decides to use this method:

Very obvious but make sure to hook the swivel and release to the main line. The release won't hold on it's own with a fish on it and you'll donate tackle.

Secondly, when attempting to remove the fixed slider with out a fish on it from the mainline it will commonly develop a bit of a twist. It is important to remove the twist before taking the release off (much quicker, easier, and pain free). Simply do this by pulling on your slider bait slightly while the twist works itself out (this is very easy to do when there is tension on the main line like when there is a fish on).

Hope this helps someone. If I didn't explain well enough let me know and I'll try to do it better becuase it really is a foolproof method.

That sounds exactly how I want to try fishing a slider.... I just didn't understand how the clip would release from the main line to slide being so close to it .... I'm assuming now the jolt of a strike is enough to pop it free

Like Sk8man says but you can also use an OR16 clip to secure to the downrigger cable. Basically the split ring of the OR16 clip will go into the quick snap swivel that goes around the main line.  The OR16 clip is then secured to the rigger cable.

When a fish strikes the clip releases and the whole thing slides down with the slider leader.

That sounds exactly how I want to try fishing a slider.... I just didn't understand how the clip would release from the main line to slide being so close to it .... I'm assuming now the jolt of a strike is enough to pop it free

Unless it is a real small fish it will release either right after the bite or once someone gets to the rod to gather the slack from the main line releasing. After the slider release pops it will simply slide down to the bait that you have on your main.

Like I said this will give you a much more positive hook up as opposed to a simple free slider. It also gives you the ability to put the fixed slider bait any depth that you want above the main.

I can attach a picture if it is still a bit fuzzy. My explaining skills probably aren't the best.

That is extremely helpfull.... Thank you everyone for the help I'm glad to see how welcoming this forum is ... Good to see no one bashing any body , everyone just trying to lend a hand

• Like 1

The drawing above should help immensely and here is a closeup of the slider connection that I snapped on my phone.

If you look on the right side you'll see the main line with the swivel and or-19 release attached to it. Going out to the left is the slider line heading to that bait. Once a fish takes the slider it will pop the clip and the entire slider will head down toward the main. At this time the or-19 will simply float freely on the slider line.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Don't waste your time with clips. JUST USE A RUBBERBAND. I've see too many guys lose big fish using those clips.

In the Spring prior to thermoclines setting up we use sliders exclusively except on our chase rigger. Once the Thermoclines set up we will go to a pinned cheater to keep both spoons near the zone. This doesn't mean sliders wont work in the Summer. There are always fish out of temp, so like everything else in our sport take everyone's opinion lightly, and do what works for you. 

Don't waste your time with clips. JUST USE A RUBBERBAND. I've see too many guys lose big fish using those clips.

In the Spring prior to thermoclines setting up we use sliders exclusively except on our chase rigger. Once the Thermoclines set up we will go to a pinned cheater to keep both spoons near the zone. This doesn't mean sliders wont work in the Summer. There are always fish out of temp, so like everything else in our sport take everyone's opinion lightly, and do what works for you.

Just a question, but how will those clips cause you to lose a fish that a rubber band won't?

I have used both methods and personally found the OR-19 to be far superior, but to each his own. I'm also not the biggest fan of partial rubber bands dangling around on my line, but again find what you like and stick with it.

Keeping things as simple as possible is usually the best strategy in most things in life and fishing in particular. :lol: