Fixed cheater/slider help please!

Keeping things as simple as possible is usually the best strategy in most things in life and fishing in particular. :lol:

And a rubber band is more simple than the method I showed? I would fully disagree with that.

And just to clarify I'm not talking about one of the sh!tty clips that are designed for stackers. I'm just suggesting to use an Offshore OR-19 clip to keep your slider stationary. Far and away the most simple method I've tried other than a free slider.

Just a question, but how will those clips cause you to lose a fish that a rubber band won't?

I have used both methods and personally found the OR-19 to be far superior, but to each his own. I'm also not the biggest fan of partial rubber bands dangling around on my line, but again find what you like and stick with it.

Call Sure Strike charters out of Rochester and ask him. He loved those clips for his pinned cheaters, but big kings and big nasty chromers will eventually cost you gear. The rubber band will break or slide down the line not causing any damage or friction to your line. Also, with the rubberband you still have your swivel attached to the main line. With the clip there will be friction as it slides down the line, and if it does fail there goes the fish with your lure in it's mouth. 

I fished a tourney this weekend against a lot of GREAT anglers. I heard countless stories at weigh in about lost and broken fish. In the end it comes down to the little things that make a BIG difference in getting that fish to the net. I'm not putting something in the water that has the ability to fail me. St. Catherines tourney we went 6/6 on Spring Kings. WHI we went 7/8 on Spring Kings. In practice we went 1/1, 2/4, and 4/4 on Spring Kings. The little things mean BIG results.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I want to see you guys with nice fish pictures. No lost spoons and heartbreak.

Edited by Yankee Troller

jrs1986 I wasn't trying to be a smart azz.....and whatever works for you is what you go with but Rick fishes a little more intensively and extensively than most of the rest of us and he knows what he is talking about. Any time you introduce another factor into the equation it can be just another "complication" and potential "risk" factor just like every knot or connection that is introduced in our lines. Neither of us was criticizing your use of the Offshores.

Call Sure Strike charters out of Rochester and ask him. He loved those clips for his pinned cheaters, but big kings and big nasty chromers will eventually cost you gear. The rubber band will break or slide down the line not causing any damage or friction to your line. Also, with the rubberband you still have your swivel attached to the main line. With the clip there will be friction as it slides down the line, and if it does fail there goes the fish with your lure in it's mouth.

I fished a tourney this weekend against a lot of GREAT anglers. I heard countless stories at weigh in about lost and broken fish. In the end it comes down to the little things that make a BIG difference in getting that fish to the net. I'm not putting something in the water that the ability to fail me. St. Catherines tourney we went 6/6 on Spring Kings. WHI we went 7/8 on Spring Kings. In practice we went 1/1, 2/4, and 4/4 on Spring Kings. The little things mean BIG results.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I want to see you guys with nice fish pictures. No lost spoons and heartbreak.

Thanks for the reply. That's something I've never heard before and have been using this method exclusively for about 6 years. Off the top of my head I can't remember a break off that I would a attribute to something happening in the way you describe above, but not saying it couldn't happen. In most instances the release pops on the inital bite or as soon as the rod is grabbed and slack is retrieved. At that point you simply have your swivel sliding down with no abrasion.

Admittedly I have only used this method on Lake Michigan where our fish are no doubt smaller than yours, but still can bust your gear up pretty good.

And just for source I have used this method a lot becuase I charter full time and have for my entire life.(I prefer to keep my identity anonymous for now but that may change in the future). Not saying it's better or the best method, but after years of trying different things this is far and away my preferred method.

jrs1986 I wasn't trying to be a smart azz.....and whatever works for you is what you go with but Rick fishes a little more intensively and extensively than most of the rest of us and he knows what he is talking about. Any time you introduce another factor into the equation it can be just another "complication" and potential "risk" factor just like every knot or connection that is introduced in our lines. Neither of us was criticizing your use of the Offshores.

Thanks I did take it as a little snarky so sorry for jumping on ya a bit. As I just stated I'm a lifelong Lake M fisherman by trade and the way I view it we've all got something to teach eachother or learn from eachother. Especially those of us who have chased the same fish for decades in different bodies of water.

Yankee do you think it's because the release doesn't unclip fast enough and the swivel pulls hard on the mainline causing it to be damaged?  Once the main line is compromised, you lose everything.

I was thinking of going to clips, but maybe I'll hold off. 

What kind of elastics do you use? 

Do you tie the elastic to the downrigger cable and the slider lead?  How?

As I said earlier I like the free sliders but sometimes I do fix them with the Offshore stacker release. It stays on the cable when the leader/slider pulls free and the swivel will slide to the bottom just like a free slider with a fish on it. There is no clip on the line.

Edited by Firechief48

I do kind of the same thing but use a canon double pinch pad release. One pad connects to you rigger cable at whatever depth you want and one to you fishing line. There is a snap in between the two pinch pads that hooks around your rigger cable