Barcelona Harbor 2016

jigstick

My first walleye trip out of Barcelona is coming up and I figured I would just start a thread and keep it updated throughout the year.  Has an been out yet?  I'm looking for some surface temps of the eastern Erie basin.  If anybody has any please let me know.

wow.  thats colder than i expected.  did you mark any spawning walleye?  They should be in the shallows spawning until it hits 54 degrees.  I was hoping to hit the post spawn bite but it looks like its running late.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like ill be heading out of Barcelona and North East on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  I will keep you guys posted on the walleye bite.  Ill be trying for steelhead as well.  Plan on using leadcore, dipsys, and riggers.  Hopefully the water temp is up a bit.

Ten days of east winds have ended. Warm water is returning to the east end now. Dunkirk and Barcelona areas were hot at night in ten to twelve foot of water. One boat had thirty five. Eighteen before midnight and seventeen the next day.

Jesus I can't troll that shallow. I'll be out in 50 fow I'm guessing. Fishing day and night for 3 days straight. I'll see what the CHIRP shows I guess. May try for steelhead too. Thanks for the update. I'll be fishing tomorrow night

Edited by jigstick

Ten days of east winds have ended. Warm water is returning to the east end now. Dunkirk and Barcelona areas were hot at night in ten to twelve foot of water. One boat had thirty five. Eighteen before midnight and seventeen the next day.

How has the daylight fishing been?

Sun causes the Walleyes to move deeper and 24 foot of water is good lately but the fish are more scattered. Night fishermen unload their fish at midnight and take another limit for the next day. This makes travel gasoline expenses more efficient.

wow, is that actualy legal? A guy on my boat asked me that question sat nite on erie. I said I dout it a day on the water is a 24 hr spand and I thought the law was actually what is in your possession.

I only have done it once but I do believe a calendar day is still a calendar day.  However, I was worried about perception and had a 2 sets of stringers and 2 separate coolers and I made sure one was put away in the truck before I went back to fish and waited til midnight to do so.  I really don't have the energy to fish that hard anymore.  But it was fun.  I actually went home slept for two hours and went to another state to fish some more.

(I think) You can have 2 days (limit) worth in your possession ???

I'm not sure if the exact details. I always make sure to not have any more than a legal limit on hand at a time. So that's 6 fish in my book.

I'm heading out in Friday morning. The WSW wind should make for a nice troll. I'll be starting at Ripley and working my way towards Brocton. Hit me up on the VHF if you want. Just hail Jigstick. I'll let ya know how I'm doing.

No more than two days' legal take of nonsalable fish may be transported unless a permit is obtained from a DEC Regional Office, or the fish are frozen, processed and packaged for storage.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31416.html

I think the calendar day gets mucked up by the (stream) trout fishing regs.  The fact that we fish Saturday morning at 12:01am for the opening of walleye pretty well explains the legal difference in the day to day separation.

I get the perception.  Nobody wants to get caught and a lot of us don't want to take the chance either.  But I still think it is ok to do what Jimski suggested (if you have the energy).

I fished Friday and Saturday. Didn't mark crap in Friday...landed 1. Marked a good amount of fish on Saturday for a 2 mile stretch. Picked up 2. Then the screen went blank and didn't get another bite. Didn't even bother going on Sunday.

Jigstix fishing was good all weekend out of Dunkirk. We got 10 Saturday afternoon. Plenty of fish 60 to 70 ft spread throughout water column. Did you fish east or west of Barcelona.

I fished east of Barcelona. Started straight out of the harbor in 50fow. Marking good fish 35ft down. Trolled east. Picked up 2 right away. Then the screen went blank. I covered 50-70fow all the way to Brocton shoals. Not marking anything and no bites.