Otisco live

MeatHunter737

1:45 am. We just trolled all the way north from the causeway to ladders pt, nothing. Running 2 boards, and 2 backs my step kid and I are putting every combo out. Marking tons of fish no fish on, 1 hit on a husky jerk. Spotty showers not lasting, beautiful night...... gonna head south on the east side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We hit otisco last night and hit an 'eye on the first cast.  A  24"er.  Smallmouths kept us busy after that until I caught a short eye, smallest and only non legal walleye I have ever caught out of Otisco at 16". I was using large husky jerks and friends were using xraps and all caught fish.  Headed back in at 3 am.  Great night for fishing but of course the fish only bit during each brief shower then shut off whenever it calmed down.

Here are some pics from the night.  I forgot about the 1 largemouth as well in front of Lader Creek.  The smallie I'm holding had to have been close to 5#.  We dropped a sad total of 5 fish between the 3 of us and 1 straightened out my friends treble hook. post-156407-0-91949700-1462647322_thumb.jpgpost-156407-0-82609900-1462647339_thumb.jpgpost-156407-0-67942700-1462647361_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got to agree with "Landshark".  That lake skunked us 1/3rd of the time.  To us it is a big fish lake not a numbers lake.  Also we have never caught any small walleyes there, none under 15 inches.  Our best number days have been ice fishing.  We like the surprise tigers and big walleyes so that is a common destination for us.....jk 

It definitely isn't a "numbers" lake and in the last 20+ years I have been fishing here I have only landed a limit of eyes in one day a handful of times but have had a couple memorable nights where I have landed 6 or more large eyes but that is rarely the case.  A typical night of casting for me might be one walleye if I'm lucky and have been blanked more times here than any other lake I fish regularly but the quality and proximity are what keep me coming back.

Got to agree with "Landshark". That lake skunked us 1/3rd of the time. To us it is a big fish lake not a numbers lake. Also we have never caught any small walleyes there, none under 15 inches. Our best number days have been ice fishing. We like the surprise tigers and big walleyes so that is a common destination for us.....jk

"Number days" in terms of walleyes through ice on Otisco? Talk about a fish story...

The narrows, I have never caught a walleye with in 2 or 300 yards  of there.  The edge of the  bed off turtle cove is the futher north that I have gotten any, but most of those were big ones.  And I think each time was casting for tigers there.  Over near the bar(footprints) I have not taken any until you get south to that point where that weed patch ends.  Mymian area is where the OP  meathunter 737 fished but we don't troll much more casting

Im pretty sure individual limits aren't that hard to come by....not Oneida easy...but very doable. I may have seen a boat limit or two over the years if memory serves correct...lol...seriously though you just have to really work at it and fish more! The lake can and will humble anyone, but 12 fish outings happen and not just on my boat...I've never had 5 guys on the boat when the fishing was excellent to keep more than a dozen but I've seen 20 fish trolling or casting at night in a couple hours even from shore!

I'll be there for a week starting Friday, getting very itchy! Woo hoo!

Edit: I'm sure I'll have some room especially on weekdays if anyone wants to join me for a night.

Edited by hermit

That's the key. The night bite. Most normal Walleye anglers know that it comes at a price of sleep depravation and then a little recoup time. I try and fish on Friday nights because it takes until Sunday night before I feel normal again....in time for work on Monday. I'm not in my 20's anymore but nighttime is still my preferred time slot.

I worked the east shoreline pretty good in my kayak last night until about 11 pm with only 1 walleye on I think.  It shook the hook after I had it on for about a minute.  It hit my lure as soon as it hit the water and I never got much of a hook set on it.  Took some drag and pulled me towards it while shaking its head before the line went slack.  I did land 3 nice smallmouths while trolling before sunset though.  The lake was very calm but did see some alewife action on the surface and didn't hear much action happening from the fishermen on shore.  Water was 52- 53 degrees everywhere I fished.  A nice but quiet night on Otisco, an all too familiar scene for me here.

Bosco I hear ya.  I feel like I got hit by a truck this morning/ afternoon.  I used to be able to fish until 2 or 3 in the morning, wake up at 6am  and go like he**,  but at 42 even a done at midnight trip is beating the snot out of me.  I even missed a great morning for turkey hunting today and didn't even care......something's not right

GH73 wait itll you are my age. Over 65(way over) then see what missing sleep does to you.  The area you fished is my te butI will not be there for several weeks yet.  I can imagine that it is hard to set a hook while in a kayak.  Good luck, save some for the rest of us.....jk