Looking for some info on Sacandaga

When you get  there stop at Daves Bait and Tackle it's on Bunker Hill Road in Mayfield just before you get to Northville he will help you with whatever you want to know phone 518 863-8318. What part of the lake are you planning on fishing it's a  big place.

Agree about Dave's, as well as the early spawn.

Big problem is that the state park at Northampton has been closed until the end of the month for the past few years. Thanks a lot NYS, launch is locked up as well. It used to be that they opened for the fishing opener and they got a lot of campers/fishermen. Perfect time to camp in the Adirondaks if you know anything about black flies and Memorial Day weekend. Now access is very limited, if not impossible.

In my opinion a huge dis-service to sportsmen and guys like Dave trying to run a sport shop. Imagine trying to survive a season when that crap gets added to a year when the weather short circuits the ice fishing.

Thanks to all for the info.... I called Daves bait & he said the state launch is open as are a couple others on the lake. ( he did mention that a campground may be closed). I think we are planning to fish the north end around the islands. Is that a good plan to try?.... Does anyone have any other input.....thanks again

The great sacs data is my home water your idea of fishing around that cluster of islands is s great place to start. You will find many rock piles and underwater old foundations and stone walls. There are also allot of drop offs etc. in the middle of those islands is basically a big flat of shallower water. Another great location is the south east section of the lake. Allot of big northerspns over there. The majority of northerners are caught thru the ice. I routinely catch. 40+ inch females in March. I would concentrate on shallower waters in the early am then work out to deeper water as the sun comes up. What kind of technique are you thinking?

Thx FishinNY...& Adk1...maybe I should start at south end then Adk1? Planning to cast....using 4-6 inch baits...(bright colors) or white & was thinking single & jointed cranks around 4-6 inch...WTD both subsurface & maybe top water ( not sure if it's too cold still for that...?)....will try spinners ( again May be too cold still ) & lastly fly fish....I know I won't last too long but am dying to try some flies I tied this winter ( first season of attempting fly fishing ).....oh & I suppose troll if I'm forced too due to weather or lack of success shallower :)

Those all sound good. I would suggest one rod rigged with the biggest live bait you can get. there are allot of bays etc that will hold northerns. what kind of boat do you have? you can pretty much cover the island area down to the SE corner with not much trouble

Ok...i wasn't sure exactly how far from islands to SE....I have a 17 ft Lund... Sounds like I'm ok tho

No problem, 10 minute cruise. Check your PM by the way