Some of it also related to water temperature. They release better in colder water. Hold them by grasping around and under the tail section and under but behind the gill section. Most of the time I release them without ever bringing them into the net or boat unless very large. I use needle nose pliers and  invert the single hook with a twist and they usually release quickly and take off immediately. When the water is warm at the surface they may require  a little more time to "come around".

Never touch the gills. Hold by tail and mouth. Snap pics fast and release. I never keep the fish unless I have to. Some fish need a little coaching a sway back and forth. They will kick free when they're ready.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I read/saw somewhere (Dec.) new findings say we should not move a fish back & forth that it does more harm than good.  It is not natural for  fish to go backwards & it does not help them to recover.  They say just move them in a forward motion only.  I guess I/we have been doing it wrong for a long time! 

I know when we catch large trout in the streams sometimes we have to burp them and then we face them up stream and hold them till they swim away on their own. But I'm sure there are multiple right and wrong things to do in various situations. I only say that because the couple fly fishing and trout fishing boards I fallow have more drama than a sorority house full of girls in an all boys school.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I read/saw somewhere (Dec.) new findings say we should not move a fish back & forth that it does more harm than good. It is not natural for fish to go backwards & it does not help them to recover. They say just move them in a forward motion only. I guess I/we have been doing it wrong for a long time!

That's why I said sway back and forth. Just a calm sway. Not nose to tail. Left to right.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app