So... My dad and i have a new boat and have recently acquired some older unitrols... The most ideal system mor mounting them would be a rail so that its flat when we arent using them... Ive been looking at the Berts tracks but i have new clue like what to get to put the down rigger on (If that makes any sense). If anyone could post links that would be great! If not just explaining it works too!

If you have any recessed rod holders in the gunwales you could use gimbal mounts and be able to easily take the riggers on and off after use

Mounting boards are easier on an I/O just because there's nothing in the way on the back. You could still do it with and outboard though. You have some ideas here but take some time and look at different pics of boats like yours. There's a "Let's see your rigs" thread in the Open Lake Discussion. Lots of different boats pictured in it. As the saying goes there's more than one way to skin a cat. Best of luck to you!

Edited by Firechief48

If your gunnels are wide enough, put a long section of track on each side. Like stated above, berts makes a universal swivel mount that will slide into the track, and add rod holders as you see fit. Be sure to use a strong backing (I used 3/4" pvc board with fender washers). Do not put a board across the back. You will hate it. I've been down that road. Here's a pic of my setup

post-149813-14628824611678_thumb.jpg

If your gunnels are wide enough, put a long section of track on each side. Like stated above, berts makes a universal swivel mount that will slide into the track, and add rod holders as you see fit. Be sure to use a strong backing (I used 3/4" pvc board with fender washers). Do not put a board across the back. You will hate it. I've been down that road. Here's a pic of my setup

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1462882457.942873.jpg

I think that's the set up I'm leaning towards... Looks very similar to our boat... The board seems like it would be a psin

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

The best bet is go down to the launch on a nice Sat morning about 5:30 and you will see what the world has to offer for setups. And about noon and you will be able to talk to anybody about there set up and what is working.  (NOT THAT FISHERMAN LIKE TO TALK).  You will learn so much and actually you will see what they mean.  Takes the guess workout of it and you will meat a great bunch of guys.