Raymarine Autopilot

I have a Raymarine ST6002 autopilot on my boat and I can't seem to get it to work. The control unit is powered up and seems to function properly but it does not move the motors. The motors only move in one direction then stop. The boat is a twin outboard setup if that matters. I'm assuming the unit is original with the boat which would make it 15 years old. I was wondering if anyone knows of any marinas that would be able to look at it and possibly fix it. I really don't want to have to replace the entire unit if I can help it. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Are you saying its actually steering your motors but only in one direction?  Do you have a compass reading on the control unit?  Does it just start beeping after it turns? Make sure your compass puck is hooked up and verify that the rudder reference is still connected.  

I talked to someone that told me to touch the motor leads off of the computer unit to the power leads and see if it moves the motors and then switch to see if they go back the other way. I did this and it worked fine. I called Raymarine and they advised me to send them the head unit and the computer unit and they will diagnose it. We shall see.

Describe your setup and I could probably help you.  Is it hooked up to a hydraulic pump or is it attached to a unit that physically moves the steering wheel.  When you are saying it moves the motor, what are you talking about?

It is hooked to a hydraulic pump. When I use the buttons on the head unit I can get the motors to turn to the right but then that is it. When I took the leads from the hydraulic pump directly to a 12 volt source the outboard move one way and the when I reverse the connection they move the other way as they should.

What does the compass heading read on the control unit?  If everything isnt hook up - like the rudder reference - the unit wont work and goes into oversteer mode since it doesnt know the position of the rudder. 

So when you select Auto, what happens?  Is the unit fully installed in the boat?

On the older units, if the rudder reference is in not hooked up correctly it will go into safety mode and not work.