Jigging Rapalas

trollerdan

TD

Basically an old Ice Fishing lure that Al Lindner recently popularized by fishing on open water. The lure is a fast sinking and therefore fast action by design. It jigs irratically and produces reaction strikes when other baits are not effective. Because of fast drop, the Primary usage would be on semi to inactive fish in a deeper water scenario. Say a 20-30 ft shoal or point drop off. Do a Youtube or google search for Lindner jigging and some info should pop up. Have fun.

Al Linder swears by these lures, a real slow troll and work them back to the boat, with a good pop of the rod, I use them with some success, of course we're not fishing Erie or Minnesota!!

attachicon.gifIMG950170.jpg  I got my first open water Walleye of the year on a jigging Rap.53'fow. Slow drift and jigging.Early March

That's great Sean, I never caught one the big, but they can be very useful. Great job, don't ever give up!! PAP?

Keith Kavajez and Gary Parsons use Moonshine jigging lures winning a $68K boat on Bay de Noc one year. Slow trolling speed, stop the boat and cast over the stern does the trick when fish are spotted on the sonar . No trolling needed, just hunt the fish down and catch them. Check out their web site " The next bite " I think. Shiver Minnow is the lure and the video is great.

Edited by jimski2

Moonshine Shiver Minnows are much nicer than Raps. No hook on front of Lure, only middle and back. And if you want some that glow they have the best glow on their products in the business. Also have some new UV, Shiver Minnows that look awesome.

I use their Spoons with excellent success and rarely run anything else.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow the moonshine shiver lure looks awesome, with a much wider color selection. I do use the Rapela jigging lures, but there are 2 different ones, there is the jigging rap, generally used through ice, these don't have as big of a wing span like the one used in the open water which is called the Snap rap, they have much broader wing span so the flutter a lot better than the jigging rap. The snap rap is what I use and have moderate or better success with the snap rap over the jigging rap.

Edited by pap

• 4 weeks later...

Moonshine Shiver Minnows are much nicer than Raps. No hook on front of Lure, only middle and back. And if you want some that glow they have the best glow on their products in the business. Also have some new UV, Shiver Minnows that look awesome.

I use their Spoons with excellent success and rarely run anything else.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's what has always pissed me off with jigging Rapalas, as I have used them every winter for the past 35 years.  When everyone else came out with all kinds of glow color combinations, they never did.  I agree with you on the Mooshine products, too, best glow in the business, by far and away.  When you are fishing after dark, for a primarily nocturnal predator fish, that makes a huge difference in my book.  Nils Master makes some nice wider shad bodied variations as well. Those Salmo Chubby Darters are also a very effective vertical jigging lure for the 'eyes.  I don't think there is a jigging style lure out there that has a better action on the upswing, and definitely not even close to the action on the drop as a Chubby Darter.  Buy a couple and watch them in clear water some time.  I love jigging lures, as jigging is my all time favorite way to catch walleyes.  I have done very well with chrome rattle traps on the walleyes out here on the prairie, as well. :yes:  :yes:

Jigging is the only way when the bite is on, but from my experience trolling more productive most  time and I will be the first to admit I hate it. But it works.

I find that trolling can be a more effective way to locate fish in vast expanses of open water.  Once those fish are located, though, stopping and throwing jigs or jigging lures is the way to really load up on them, and catch all or most of those schooling fish.  Also more control with less tackle and BS between you and that fish.  Plus, they fight much harder on light spinning gear than on trolling tackle.