New to trolling any suggestions on gear and techniques welcome

Not sure where you are fishing or how deep but you may want to consider heavier weights for your riggers. Black releases are good general purpose releases.If you fish for Walleyes you may want to consider Chamberlains as they allow for lighter  releases. Try a mixture of stick baits and spoons right now to assess what they want. There are many posts on here as far as suggestions of specific spoons are favorites etc. As far as depths it is always a puzzle to figure out on a nearly daily basis depending on where you are fishing (e.g. Lake O or Erie or Finger Lakes etc.) and it depends on specific fish you're after and time of season. Browns are close in toward shore right around now on Ontario but it varies from day to day and with changes in water temps, currents and wind direction etc.  but today on one of the Fingers I caught a couple 70 ft down near the middle of the lake so you need to experiment.

I fish off a 17' seanymph so its not really a lake boat unless the water is a sheet of glass I troll mainly irond. bay and the finger lakes right now I'm using the releases that are spring loaded, 1st week of June I fish the 1000 islands around wellsley island would like to try to troll for pike and Muskie any recommendations on speed? right now the boat has a 2 stroke 60 hp evinrude and a 6 hp 4 stroke kicker. I also have a hummingbird 798 si head unit which I have some what figured out, I know I am all over the board here with questions so trying not to be an idiot here. but what usually do the different species do I was in canadiquia last weekend found 100's of fish sitting in about 250 fow some on the bottom some suspended at 200-230' just curious if any of you knew what the different species like to do

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

What speed do you troll at for pike/musky?

If it's anywhere near 2 mph, I'd change your weight to much bigger. 8 lbs will give a lot of blowback. I prefer using 12 lbs or bigger.

Not sure about your riggers though, make sure they can pull a bigger weight.

Edited by TyeeTanic

Start at 2mph and go faster and slower to see what the fish want troll for an hour at 2 then pick it up to 2.5 troll for an hour slow down to 1.5 troll for an hour. See which speed produced fish and replicate in the same direction. 8lbs. is a little light for anything past 60' I would be running a minimum of 10lbs if not 12lbs. I run blacks releases on my riggers they work great and can be adjusted infinitely.