South end Canandaigua 5/11/16 Solo Trip

I wanted to get some more time in on the new kicker so I launched from Woodville this AM seeking browns and rainbows. I tried the usual setups for over 3 hours without a touch as none of the conventional stuff worked (e.g. downriggers, boards with cores and copper so about 11 AM I switched to a couple  5 leader Seth Greens and first a 5 color core then a 10 color, then a 275 copper down the chute and  switched them out nothing on them but I connected with 2 browns a 22 1/2 inch and a 21 inch on the Seth Greens. Down about 70 ft over 145 and 167 respectively. One hit a black magnum NK of all things tried just for the heck of it and the other took a Great Lakes 44. No rainbows and no other hits. I marked some masses of bait  down deep near bottom intermittently in 140 's and 170's and then some real good pods in closer in 84 and 102 ft. I pulled right through a bunch of fish sitting above the bait but couldn't get them to budge. I'm still trying to figure out bait  pic 3 and all I can think of s that I was at the far outside edge of the cone when it marked the bait which didn't mark some of the interior of the pod so it appeared as a "square" shaped form inside the outside edge which appeared as a big arch. Browns released unharmed.

post-145411-0-66738900-1463020537_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-66389000-1463020545_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-25034200-1463020558_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-47778500-1463020570_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-87462600-1463020580_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Very nice screenshots from that lowrance. The baitfish this year that the fish have been puking up have been large . My general rule is small spoons in the spring then larger as the summer progresses.then mags in the fall. Ill throw a couple mags down this weekend and see how they do. I like that black /silver green tape its very old school .

Thanks for the post.

Great job Les... We found a few spots in the north end a few weeks ago during our club tourney with screens like that on our Lowrance elite 7 also and every time we ran through it we picked up a brown just couldn't find that one big one.. For the money compared to all the high dollar Fish Finders on the market you can't go wrong with the Elite series.. That last picture with that huge arch on it almost looks like a man made object laying on the bottom.. That has me stumped a bit..

Mike

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

Mike I agree on the Elite. I've been happy with it.  The water/weather conditions wre near perfect in the AM and I figured I'd score some rainbows but wasn't in the cards :)  That odd pic was even stranger and more square looking before I snapped the photo of it pretty unusual.

post-145411-0-31234200-1463055991_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-47374000-1463056075_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Les you will be a huge improvement if you take it off simulator mode :lol:  I am hoping to get on Seneca Sat am.

:lol: :lol:  Good one Kev. Yeah I'd like to get out down there before the derby myself. unfortunately I have other obligations Saturday (funeral) but I'll be interested on how you make out there. Good luck.

I use both Mike and the 83 picks up downriggers a little better with the wider cone angle too, but it was on 200 from last time out and I left it as I was fishing shallow all morning  not all that much difference on mine unless I'm fishing real deep water

Thanks Mike and John and Mark.....I'm selling boat ride tickets to the Lost City if you're interested :lol: Good one!

Nice job Les, just wondering if you guys with the Elite 7's ever have the unit just shut  off on its own, for some reason usually once a trip in the coarse of an 8hr day for no reason it will just power off and needs to be restarted ever happen to yours?

I've haven't had any problems whatsoever thus far (couple seasons) with mine sr1.  Sounds as though you may have a loose connection or broken wire perhaps in the power connector and maybe vibrations within the boat are causing it to fail intermittently?. Have you updated to the most recent  software update? http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Software-Updates/Elite-40/

Hey Ed those browns on Seneca must be shaking about now knowing you're getting ready for action on the west side :lol:

Edited by Sk8man