what reel for 300 copper

i just got a spool of the new torpedo steel line 300 ft 45lb which is suppose to be just like copper but much more manageable.  My question is what would be a good reel for it for around $100?  Ive been looking at the okuma convector 55 but was curious as to what else is out there for around the same price.  Any and all info would be greatly appreciated 

Daiwa 57LC high speed comes with a power handle good capacity and carbon fiber drag standard with it and back it with 40 or 50 pound Power Pro braid. I have two of them and they work flawlessly one with wire and one with copper. Although you don't need a line counter for copper it is nice to have versatility if you decide to switch to other options.

Features:
• 3 Stainless steel ball bearings
• Power mesh drive for maximum winding power
• Machine cut bronze gears
• Automatic clutch engagement
• Anodized, high-tensile forged aluminum spool, super strong yet light weight
• Direct drive built-in line counter (measures in feet)
• Machined Aluminum Spool
• Ultimate Tournament Carbon drag
• One-piece composite frame

• Helical Cut Gears
• Spool Click

• Model: SG57LC3B
• Action FW / SW: XXH / H
• Bearings: 3 BB
• Gear Ratio: 6.1:1
• Line Per Handle Turn: 42.9"
• Line Capacity (Lb. Test / Yards): 20/580
• Drag Max: 20

Specifications

Model # SG57LC3B Gear Ratio 6.1:1 Bearings 3 Retrieval Right Hand Reel Weight 19.6 oz. Mono Line Capacity lb./yds. 20/580, 25/430, 30/330 Braided Line Capacity lb./yds. 40/830, 50/650, 60/550 Max Drag 20 lbs. Line Retrieval 42.9" per turn

Edited by Sk8man

Daiwa 57LC high speed comes with a power handle good capacity and carbon fiber drag standard with it and back it with 40 or 50 pound Power Pro braid. I have two of them and they work flawlessly one with wire and one with copper. Although you don't need a line counter for copper it is nice to have versatility if you decide to stitch to other options.

Features:

• 3 Stainless steel ball bearings

• Power mesh drive for maximum winding power

• Machine cut bronze gears

• Automatic clutch engagement

• Anodized, high-tensile forged aluminum spool, super strong yet light weight

• Direct drive built-in line counter (measures in feet)

• Machined Aluminum Spool

• Ultimate Tournament Carbon drag

• One-piece composite frame

• Helical Cut Gears

• Spool Click

• Model: SG57LC3B

• Action FW / SW: XXH / H

• Bearings: 3 BB

• Gear Ratio: 6.1:1

• Line Per Handle Turn: 42.9"

• Line Capacity (Lb. Test / Yards): 20/580

• Drag Max: 20

Specifications

Model # SG57LC3B Gear Ratio 6.1:1 Bearings 3 Retrieval Right Hand Reel Weight 19.6 oz. Mono Line Capacity lb./yds. 20/580, 25/430, 30/330 Braided Line Capacity lb./yds. 40/830, 50/650, 60/550 Max Drag 20 lbs. Line Retrieval 42.9" per turn

i have these for my diver reels and they are awesome. need a ton of backing but the fast retrieve is the ticket.cabelas has 'em on sale for $90 right now

Edited by shawn393

I have a 300 ft. copper and 450 ft of 50 lb Power Pro backing on mine but I don't remember if it is 32 lb or 45 as I use both and have a bunch of copper setups.

I would go with a Daiwa Seagate 60.  6.1 to 1 gear ratio and a way better drag system than the Convector.  You can fit 300 yds of backing, the copper and a leader with no problems. 

I would go with a Daiwa Seagate 60.  6.1 to 1 gear ratio and a way better drag system than the Convector.  You can fit 300 yds of backing, the copper and a leader with no problems. 

+1  Okuma drags suck why spend $$$ for drag upgrades on a brand new reel?

Dave - I had a Convector 55 right out of the box where  drag didn't work....bought the Daiwa instead and very glad I did. Over 20 plus Daiwas and never a problem. I also have Okumas as well but as mentioned the drags aren't up to the quality of the Daiwas unless Tuna Tom retro fits them with the better carbon fiber drags. Brian's suggestion is the way to go in my opinion Dave. I don't think you'll be sorry.

Edited by Sk8man

I have plenty of 55 Okuma convectors. they do the job and are a reliable reel but i'm fazing them out for the 553 clarions 6.2.1 ratio and carbon drags come with them from the factory, talked to tuna tom about up grading drags in 2014 and he said they are good to go out of the box and know i have a few years on them and can confirm this and we smoke 300/400 coppers in on them and never miss a beat. my 2 cents.