Not much to report I managed a hand full of browns each day with a few smallmouth mixed in. I fished east of the harbor in 4 to 15 ft of water with nobody else fishing for browns I ran my flats lines way way way behind the boat and my boards way outside. it seemed to work but it was a slow pick for sure. It was an all spoon bite, bright colors early and natural once the sun came up.

I do have a grip about Wrights Landing. When I came back into the launch this morning the fish cleaning station wasn't open. No big deal, I have asked the nice lady in the ticket booth for the key in the past and she was always happy to give it to me.

Not this time. A new lady in the booth told me she could only open the fish cleaning station for those people that had boat slips at Wrights. I was stunned, and told her I have never heard such a thing in the 15+ years I had been fishing there. She told me it was new policy and wouldn't budge.. Always thought the station was included in the now $10 launch fee.. Might be time to shift up to Mexico at least the launch was cheaper.

Baytech

Let's not forget that Wrights Landing was built with tax payer dollars and was free to the public in the early years. Slowly but surely the greed monster reared its ugly head and now the launch is a money maker for the town. The fishermen are inevitably the ones who take it on the chin every time.

I do have a grip about Wrights Landing. When I came back into the launch this morning the fish cleaning station wasn't open. No big deal, I have asked the nice lady in the ticket booth for the key in the past and she was always happy to give it to me.

Not this time. A new lady in the booth told me she could only open the fish cleaning station for those people that had boat slips at Wrights. I was stunned, and told her I have never heard such a thing in the 15+ years I had been fishing there. She told me it was new policy and wouldn't budge.. Always thought the station was included in the now $10 launch fee.. Might be time to shift up to Mexico at least the launch was cheaper.

Baytech

This mostly sounds like a misunderstanding. The cleaning station is what makes that place so attractive. May I suggest that you make a call to the Oswego Chamber Of Commerce and explain your problem and do mention that you and your friends used to fish out of Oswego and you frequent the stores and establishments,but now ,you are thinking about taking your business elsewhere. I am sure the chamber of commerce people can clear up this misunderstanding

The cleaning station is open.  I used it Weds. and Thursday. When I purchased my season launch permit on Tuesday I did see there's a post on the wall that the station will be locked when Larry Muraski or 1 of his workers isn't there cleaning fish, and you have to get the key from the launch shack in order to use it. There was nothing in the posting that said it was for boat slip owners.

I only use wrights landing a few times a year and I never mind paying the ten bucks cause of all the things they offer there . I like to clean my own fish but I would get the cross eye look from the guy that gets paid to clean fish for other fishermen oh well didn't care

Edited by fisherdude

The station was open Thursday night when I came back in but that was because Larry was cleaning for the Charters so there was no problem with using it then. From what I understand you are free to use the station so long as it is open, but she will not give you the key to open it unless like sszoldra said Larry or his coworkers are in there. She did tell me i was more than welcome to wait around until the charters came back in and Larry came down to clean. I Hope like rolmops said it is just a misunderstanding, just hope ythey don't use the same logic with the bathrooms or that coudl lead to a mess  :) .

FYI, in addition to the "confusion" about the cleaning station, which in my opinion should be open 24/7, the new administration in town, to include DPW supervisor and wright's landing coordinator suck so far. Docks were in early this year, but no garbage cans, so garbage was all over. Bathrooms weren't open, so guys were pissing on the back of the building. No power on the dock, so people sleeping in cars in the lot. No water, and still as I type this no cable on the dock even tho we paid for it. Members traditionally received our seasonal stickers in the mail, but this year we have to pick them up at the booth, no big deal but when asked why, we were told it's to save money on mailing them??? WHAT? the booth wasn't open until well into May, and boats were launching for FREE for 4 weeks? At 10 dollars per launch. The logic behind this decision making is rediclous at best. Rant over.

FYI, in addition to the "confusion" about the cleaning station, which in my opinion should be open 24/7, the new administration in town, to include DPW supervisor and wright's landing coordinator suck so far. Docks were in early this year, but no garbage cans, so garbage was all over. Bathrooms weren't open, so guys were pissing on the back of the building. No power on the dock, so people sleeping in cars in the lot. No water, and still as I type this no cable on the dock even tho we paid for it. Members traditionally received our seasonal stickers in the mail, but this year we have to pick them up at the booth, no big deal but when asked why, we were told it's to save money on mailing them??? WHAT? the booth wasn't open until well into May, and boats were launching for FREE for 4 weeks? At 10 dollars per launch. The logic behind this decision making is rediclous at best. Rant over.

Agree with most of what you said except for the garbage? There is no reason for "leaving garbage all around" If a garbage can isn't available then take it out with you. That shouldn't be that hard to do.

Edited by MikeyP

The station was open Thursday night when I came back in. I Hope like rolmops said it is just a misunderstanding, just hope ythey don't use the same logic with the bathrooms or that coudl lead to a mess  :) .

I probably should have used the term "misunderstanding" in a more suggestive manner.

Edited by rolmops

The station was open Thursday night when I came back in but that was because Larry was cleaning for the Charters so there was no problem with using it then. From what I understand you are free to use the station so long as it is open, but she will not give you the key to open it unless like sszoldra said Larry or his coworkers are in there. She did tell me i was more than welcome to wait around until the charters came back in and Larry came down to clean. I Hope like rolmops said it is just a misunderstanding, just hope ythey don't use the same logic with the bathrooms or that coudl lead to a mess  :) .

Just to clarify, the posting in the Launch Shack say's that the key will be given to anyone that asks for it when Larry or his worker isn't there.  It appears like the launch attendant is misinformed. Whatever it is, it sounds like Larry's trying to get 1 foot in the door to have a monopoly on cleaning fish in the future.

...and they really need to put new bumpers on the docks. I launched solo one day and didn't think I needed to put my bumpers out. Since they had them on the docks. Had some nice fresh dock rash just from rubbing against them for a minute.

If I was a resident of that town, I would be at every town meeting crawling up their ass. That waterfront is painfully mismanaged and under utilized. Fishing tournaments, sailing races, poker runs, all things that would fill restaurants and motels, and put seasonal people to work.

Apparently they rely on Harborfest for revenue and that's it. Smh.

Whoever it was that posted go to the city board meeting had the best comment. Everything else is just ranting. Go, ask questions and get your answers. Always two sides to the story.

Adk, I definitely was ranting. So I assume u don't agree with my assessment of the way the marina is being run. I stated that I would attend a town meeting but I am not a resident. Most local boards only recognize taxpayers and require an address before you can speak at a public meeting.

Additionally I am not that broken up over how poorly the place is being run, I'm just stating the facts. If it gets worse I have the option to move. I have been a dues paying member for 13 years, and transient dockers for 6 more. I have seen the decline in everything. Lack of help, poor maintenance of the docks, bathrooms, showers etc. The marina used to be full, now not even close. People I know personally left because of these issues.

So if you think my statements can be refuted at a town meeting and there are two sides, your right. The other side is the fact that the marina is run by a town with elected and appointed officials . I worked in govt for 30 years. The don't care if I leave, or if I complain, they are not in the business to make money, or make friends. They are in the business of getting reelected and reappointed. I can't even vote there, so my concerns mean nothing. Jeanne Cooper ran the marina for many years. She retired two years ago and I'd shows in many ways. There have been thefts from boats, disorderly conduct at night around the docks, the seasonal help used to include responsible adults that did a great job, now they hire young kids who are clueless, apparently in a cost savings measure. Once again, I'm ranting because I can. If your in disagreement that's fine but I already know the other side of the story.

Adk, I definitely was ranting. So I assume u don't agree with my assessment of the way the marina is being run. I stated that I would attend a town meeting but I am not a resident. Most local boards only recognize taxpayers and require an address before you can speak at a public meeting.

Additionally I am not that broken up over how poorly the place is being run, I'm just stating the facts. If it gets worse I have the option to move. I have been a dues paying member for 13 years, and transient dockers for 6 more. I have seen the decline in everything. Lack of help, poor maintenance of the docks, bathrooms, showers etc. The marina used to be full, now not even close. People I know personally left because of these issues.

So if you think my statements can be refuted at a town meeting and there are two sides, your right. The other side is the fact that the marina is run by a town with elected and appointed officials . I worked in govt for 30 years. The don't care if I leave, or if I complain, they are not in the business to make money, or make friends. They are in the business of getting reelected and reappointed. I can't even vote there, so my concerns mean nothing. Jeanne Cooper ran the marina for many years. She retired two years ago and I'd shows in many ways. There have been thefts from boats, disorderly conduct at night around the docks, the seasonal help used to include responsible adults that did a great job, now they hire young kids who are clueless, apparently in a cost savings measure. Once again, I'm ranting because I can. If your in disagreement that's fine but I already know the other side of the story.

I fully agree with your words. Small town politicians are on a power trip and do a lot to get re-elected. BUT they do not really run the town. The real power is with the people who got them elected (special interest group) These are the people who need to be talked to. Hence my comment involving the local chamber of commerce.

Was out of Oswego this weekend went 7 for 9 on lakers in 120 -140 ft water went out to 250 then back all rigged for silvers had both riggers but no one home 46 temp down 85 picked up a Steele and 2 small kings up top out in 160 - 170 slid in next morning picked up 2 nice Browns 8# each then back to laker land went back in before dark picked up another brown then went in packed up now back to reality until next time we meet again lady o

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the local government needs to wake up then. Economic development and attracting outside dollars into the city should be a top priority. I still say go and have your voices heard.