5/14 bearded hen

Went out with my bow this morning. Have been trying to get an old Tom I've seen a few times. Had a pair of hens come in, one with a nice beard. I've never shot a bearded hen and decided to take a clean shot if one presented itself. Unfortunately the one without the beard kept getting in the way and didn't get the shot I wanted.

About an hour later they came through again and the Rage did its job, bird flopped for a little bit and that was it!post-150305-14632574724332_thumb.jpgpost-150305-14632574884713_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how to age a hen but the breast meats darker than some Toms I've shot. Beard was 7 inches. Might have mounted it but it got pretty screwed up flopping around.

Too late now brother. Back out for the Tom in the morning. Best part is my bow spot is a mid, late morning spot. Get to have a big breakfast and then relax in the double bull blind. Pretty comfy stuff.

So I had my chance at the big Tom this morning and I blew it. He came in a little nervous and I must have hurried the shot. I thought it was clean and that I put a good hit on him but when I found the arrow there was no blood at all. That's the only good thing, I think he will be fine. Really beautiful bird, I should have been more patient. My heart was pounding. I know it happens. I know it's all part of it. I know it sucks!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...