Lowrance HDS 5 interference

I have a issue with my HDS with "interference" on the screen but only when it gets a little bumpy out. When it's dead calm it runs perfect. It stops marking my deepest downrigger also - if not both when this happens. By interference I mean vertical lines from top to bottom on the screen. It happens in auto or in manual mode where I can control sensitivity,ping speed and color line. I have a Starcraft islander and I installed it last year. I put the transducer in the same spot that my last lowrance transducer was. Transducer location ? My settings seems to be spot on. Any suggestions appreciated before I start drilling needless holes- Thanks

I have a issue with my HDS with "interference" on the screen but only when it gets a little bumpy out. When it's dead calm it runs perfect. It stops marking my deepest downrigger also - if not both when this happens. By interference I mean vertical lines from top to bottom on the screen. It happens in auto or in manual mode where I can control sensitivity,ping speed and color line. I have a Starcraft islander and I installed it last year. I put the transducer in the same spot that my last lowrance transducer was. Transducer location ? My settings seems to be spot on. Any suggestions appreciated before I start drilling needless holes- Thanks

now that I sit here thinking about it again- when it starts to get bumpy my RPM goes up some to compensate - any help appreciated-

Allthough there could be a number of possibilities a couple things come to mind. The fact that you lose sight oof the downrigger when this happens suggests that it may be transducer related and it may be going out of the cone angle. Check to see that there isn't a crack or break in the transducer cord especially at the point it enters the transducer.  I know you previously had a Lowrance transducer  in the spot but was it exactly the same shape and size transducer? I would double check the positioning of the transducer following exactly Lowrance's specs relating it to your hull scenario....the face of the transducer should be  parallel with the ground not your hull shape itself e.g. curvature).  Usually electrical interference will present as dots or clusters of them rather than vertical lines so I'm thinking it has more to do with the transducer situation itself. If it does turn out to be electrical in nature using suppressor type spark plugs may help if you don't already have them. You also might want to check to see that your power wire for the unit is routed away from other wires to avoid cross feed from other nearby wires that may be vibrating or moving as you bounce. Just a few thoughts of the top of my head I'm no electronics wizard :)

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks SK8man- I will check the wires when I get back to Wilson where the boat is-It's the same exact transducer shape- the more I google the issue the more possibilities pop up. I am reading that RPM interference shows up as vertical lines in this unit as I stated I'm having. I'm working in NYC this week and have a lot of hotel time so hopefully I can pin this down some online and maybe a call to lowrance

Just installed a hook 7 on my boat and had the same issue on the first trip out. I pointed the tail of the ducer up one notch and the lines have disappeared and rigger tracking was greatly improved. Hope that helps some.

Just installed a hook 7 on my boat and had the same issue on the first trip out. I pointed the tail of the ducer up one notch and the lines have disappeared and rigger tracking was greatly improved. Hope that helps some.

thank you for the response- I will give that a try and see if it works