Renaming a boat?

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on renaming a boat. My previous boats did not have names on them and I named them "gotta bite". This boat I purchased from my friends who were the original owners who bought it new in 1989. It's always been named the Jolly Roger after the original owner. I planned on naming this one the gotta bite as well like my previous boats have named. I have owned it for over a year but didn't run her last year due to some mechanical issues. Now she is rebuilt and rigged the way I want her. There is a superstitious school of thought that say run her for a year before I remove the original name etc and take care of renaming her next year after a renaming ceremony. I know it sounds crazy but as fisherman we are a superstitious group.

In the old days,boats were renamed all the time,but with a slight of hand. In order to keep the jinx out, the new boat owner would remove the name of the boat and speaking out loud they would say, "You have no name" and dram of whisky would be poured on the water to appease the winds and the waves. The next day, this by now nameless boat would get a new name and a dram of whisky would be poured on the boat and in the water to appease the wind and the waves. Of course,if the owner was Dutch ,Dutch Gin would be poured.

Edited by rolmops

a shot for the boat a shot for the water and a shot for the owner.  Say thanks for the chance give it the new name and refill your cup.  

a little bit of sacrifice to the superstitions goes a long way and I'm always for having a drink

I think you should do a renaming ceremony just for the fun of it. Get your friends together and have a BBQ and drinks over it, good excuse for a party!

I renamed my boat because I didn't like the first name we picked (my wife picked). When I grew a set and convinced myself I wanted to rename the boat, I just did it. No ceremony. Took off the old vinyl name and put a new one on.

The boat's been running well for the past 4 years ... even caught a few fish on it!

I skirted the problem as I too am a bit superstitious. I never actually put a printed name on my boat and maintained the name of my previous boat which was named White Porcupine by a buddy busting my balls about all the rods sticking up :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

When I bought my Islander,it was called "Salmon Slayer" whereas I see any boat as a "Dream Weaver".  Those two really are at the opposite end of the scales. I removed the the salmon slayer name because I like dream weaving and sometimes maybe catching a fish. For 5 years now There has been no name printed on that boat. I call it "My Islander"  and think about naming it "Dutch Treat".

Maybe one of these days I will come upon the name that will end up on the bow and the stern.