National Lake Trout Derby

After talking with Harvey O'hara the future of this great tradition seems to be in jeopardy. This may be the last year for us to participate in this long standing tradition. Some key members of Sports o drama are calling it quits and it looks as though this may be its last year. Its hard to believe we could lose this awesome tradition. Anyone know if someone is stepping up to keep this tournament going?

So far no deal yet to come to Watkins. Rumor is Watkins is not interested. Also, the Pesident and treasurer of Sports o rama are stepping down after this year. That's about all I know. I was hoping someone knew if there were interested parties who may be considering taking it over and saving it.

Colin is a good guy and has worked hard to keep the derby going for a long time and at his age most folks would have given up long ago. He deserves a lot of credit. I think one of the factors involved behind the scenes is the total lack of support from the Geneva Chamber of Commerce. They are all absorbed in their glamorous building and attracting out of town people to the wineries etc. and have pretty much totally ignored the derby and haven't even supported by letting folks use the restrooms during the derby to my knowledge. I think Colin may have tired trying to deal with them. Speculation on my part not hard data.

Colin is a good guy and has worked hard to keep the derby going for a long time and at his age most folks would have given up long ago. He deserves a lot of credit. I think one of the factors involved behind the scenes is the total lack of support from the Geneva Chamber of Commerce. They are all absorbed in their glamorous building and attracting out of town people to the wineries etc. and have pretty much totally ignored the derby and haven't even supported by letting folks use the restrooms during the derby to my knowledge. I think Colin may have tired trying to deal with them. Speculation on my part not hard data.

8891ab4cac99731c35c52295de6761c8.jpg

That's the whole problem I have with this.. Geneva is suppose to be the Lake Trout Capital Of The World and they want the Sports Orama to pay them to use their facilities ?? Come on that's a Joke!! They should want to support this derby it's part of the city's history... If Geneva wants to get rid of it and Watkins doesn't want to pick it up I think we as a group should present this derby to New York State and ask them to run it once a year as a way of trying to possibly save Sampson State Park .. They have Staff already working their , they have plenty of room for camping and a launch and a marina, plus plenty of room for a ceremony after.. If we could somehow figure out how to get more people to come there for the weekend and stay for tournament it's a win win...

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah we need to put a team together and keep this going. Maybe move headquarters to the Ramada? Could do a nice closing with live music and bbq. Would like to see the fallen veterans honored on Memorial Day too. Just a couple thoughts...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is a sad topic I agree. And yes Geneva officials need to step up and take control. And I'm not bashing the groups that supported this, a lot of hard work by many to put this on every year, so please don't respond that your offended if your involved in anyway. The issue here is lack of leadership for a succession plan. This time that has come is of no surprise. No body on that board however wanted to let go of the reins. Others that had an interest in stepping up to run it were quickly ousted. The leaders kept this close to them without anyone allowed to step up and take over or make any changes to the format, process etc. with that being said its a long commitment for someone that I wish we could find to keep it going and continue, and as I have said before if it's not in Geneva, oh well, get it to Sampson, Watkins, wherever, I'll still support it and be happy that it still is part of Seneca Tradition! I've been in it for over 35 yrs, hate for it to end. I'll help move the sign out of Geneva to a new location if it means to keep it going.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

The folks who have run it all these years had a great formula. Sounds like it's time for a new group to pick up the torch and continue. Maybe spread the responsibilities and advertising to include both ends of the lake more evenly and modifying the name calling it Seneca Lake Trout Derby.

Geneva's government doesn't seem to be helpful in recent years so maybe moving headquarters to Watkins or Sampson makes sense. I believe to be successful it will need to be organized by a few but some of us will need to get involved with the actual event.

I believe Barge Canal Bassmasters have supported it in the past and maybe some of the existing groups of Seneca Lake trollers need to step up.

Just my thoughts.

Bob

Moving to Sampson sounds like a good idea. For one, there will be tons of campers there, that will be good advertisement for following years. It also brings attention to the marina and rest of the park. Check out a historical site and see some big fish weighed in, sounds like a family weekend.

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The folks who have run it all these years had a great formula. Sounds like it's time for a new group to pick up the torch and continue. Maybe spread the responsibilities and advertising to include both ends of the lake more evenly and modifying the name calling it Seneca Lake Trout Derby.

Geneva's government doesn't seem to be helpful in recent years so maybe moving headquarters to Watkins or Sampson makes sense. I believe to be successful it will need to be organized by a few but some of us will need to get involved with the actual event.

I believe Barge Canal Bassmasters have supported it in the past and maybe some of the existing groups of Seneca Lake trollers need to step up.

Just my thoughts.

Bob

Finger Lake Trolling Association has helped for many moons.. We run the weigh station all day Saturday and setup and take down weigh station in Watkins with our members and We have two guys in the club that attend every national lake trout derby meeting and keep us Informed of what is going on... We also sell a extremely high number of boat raffle tickets for the national lake trout derby every year... So I'd say we've been stepping it up for years.. We do everything we can to help support it and keep it going...

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

Mike,

Sorry I didn't mean to omit anyone currently involved, could only remember seeing the other group listed on entry form. Still believe with all the interest in this event that members of the active groups could get together to manage the event.

Bob

i missed the 1964-67 derbies while in the military overseas and a couple while in graduate school in the early 70's but have fished over 45 of them so it has become sort of like the "Olympics" to my son and I and I sure hope this isn't the end....especially since we have yet to win it :lol:  Aside from the obvious economic input to the area the derby has been a real family building experience for a lot of us including camping out at Sampson for years, joking with the weigh-in staff, eating hotdogs, and sausages at the stands, ogling the fish in the coolers that we wish we had caught :lol:   etc. It is an important Finger Lakes area tradition that we share and need to maintain somehow. 

Edited by Sk8man

I will be attending the meeting tomorrow night. My goal is to get the 6 corporate participants to agree that this derby is worth the effort to continue moving forward from its current short comings. I don't know what the answers are from there, but your ideas and support would be appreciated... I will keep you all posted on the outcome of this meeting.

This sad to read as my family and I and my daughters have fished this derby since we could enter them by age. My grandfather took second the second year of the derby and I have placed second twice, once with a rainbow and the next year with a laker. My one daughter placed 4 years ago. We look forward to coming to the cottage and spending the weekend fishing as a whole family, 4 generations fishing together let alone all the friendships and aquaintances that have been made. Now ad lays derbies are not hard to run its the costs involved behind them. Insurance is the biggest back breaker, permits are another issue and if it goes out of Samson the problem is the state, they a finicky when it comes to derbies and tournaments. Keep that in mind as well. I am for someone stepping up and if I had the time I would volunteer my time to help. Keep up informed please. Thanks Tom Riley

Edited by Sea-IV