National Lake Trout Derby

1200 anglers at $30 a pop $36k even if you pay out 20K. I think it's safe to say we could figure out something for $16 k to have a BBQ and a nice ceremony at the end of it and pay tribute to what Memorial Day is all about.

1200 anglers at $30 a pop $36k even if you pay out 20K. I think it's safe to say we could figure out something for $16 k to have a BBQ and a nice ceremony at the end of it and pay tribute to what Memorial Day is all about.

Couldn't agree with you more and if we could figure out how to get it to Sampson State Park ( A former military training base ) and a place that could use this support right now and for future years to come that would be even better... There has to be a big fishing company out there that would be willing to sponsor a big part of this too... I think as a group we could all come together as a great team, tag teaming all the different aspects and come up with some just as good or I think even better tournament than we have now...

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You guys bring up some really good ideas. The Veteran's Cemetary is right near by and Sampson served as both a Naval and Air Force training base in the past and currently houses the military museum what better place to hold the derby honoring veterans.... I sure hope something can be worked out but the major  concern I have is in knowing how the state bureaucracy works it may take major coaxing to bring anything about especially in a timely manner and they always worry about liability issues, and fending off any expenses etc. The fact that it is a private enterprise operating out of a public facility will be a factor as well.  You'd think Geneva and the Chamber would be stepping up to the plate too in this as it brings in quite a bit of $$ directly into the city itself and since it is already an existing function and they have the place already identified for the awards ceremony etc.it would be a "no brainer" to take over the administrative functions.

Senator Nozzolio isn't officially retired yet is he? 

If anyone has a connection to Senator Nozzolio I think this would be right up his alley.  Maybe he could hang his hat on this as the last big thing he could do for all Veterans before he is officially retired?  If not, then I would think he could point the right direction in which to take this as far as the state is concerned.

Senator Nozzolio isn't officially retired yet is he? 

If anyone has a connection to Senator Nozzolio I think this would be right up his alley.  Maybe he could hang his hat on this as the last big thing he could do for all Veterans before he is officially retired?  If not, then I would think he could point the right direction in which to take this as far as the state is concerned.

I just sent him a e-mail hope it turns out better than when we contacted Hillary on the lake trout funding short fall a number of years ago. 

Here is what I know from the calls I've made recently. Geneva weighs 50 - 60 percent of all derby fish. Sampson 20- 25 percent. Watkins 10- 15. Sports o rama already has a permit to operate their weigh in. At Sampson and after talking with Nicky the park manager, that permit can be upgraded for other uses such as pavilions and electric, etc. So the loss of Geneva isn't really such a big issue. Some people will have to drive a little further to weigh a fish.

After talking with Colin again today, the real issues are from within the organization. That's why he is leaving and so is James Fluker. Those details I will have more knowledge about after tonight's meeting.

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

With that said there has to be consideration for that 50-60% of people who do weigh in at Geneva because they also launch there boats there as well. I am sure that Samson can handle the influx of traffic if it's moved there. Lake conditions play a major roll as well cause there are many boats who will only fish the north end in case the lake kicks up and to make a person pack up and haul there boat to Samson to weigh in is asking for trouble. Now here is another thought, if Samson would go in on it why couldn't there be a weigh station at the state park on the north end so this way the Chamber isn't involved at all?

With that said there has to be consideration for that 50-60% of people who do weigh in at Geneva because they also launch there boats there as well. I am sure that Samson can handle the influx of traffic if it's moved there. Lake conditions play a major roll as well cause there are many boats who will only fish the north end in case the lake kicks up and to make a person pack up and haul there boat to Samson to weigh in is asking for trouble. Now here is another thought, if Samson would go in on it why couldn't there be a weigh station at the state park on the north end so this way the Chamber isn't involved at all?

In working on that now. No return call as of yet. Seneca lake state park is operated by NYS Office of parks and Recreation. Same as Sampson. Each park has its own office and manager.

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

I like where this going guys, and hats off to those taking the time in finding out the deal. This is cool stuff and will be contagious to others to join in on the support. If and when you need help soliciting for venues in such I'm in.

Thanks Jason I think with all talk going on that the heads of the trout derby are hearing that us fishermen and community are not going to let this just end.

Yes, I know its late... I swore I wouldn't post this late. Here is the real deal... This derby is far short of achieving its 1200 registrant requirement. The early numbers are at low. Beyond record low... This means they need all our help! Spread the word folks... If they don't reach that magic # this may be the last year...

Post this to all you can. Register all you can!!!! Registration this year will determine if they invest in its future or call it quits... If you want to see this continue, show these folks you care... If you don't know how, call me - 607 426 5094 . thank you!

It's been going down each year, it always comes back to money. The lack luster fishing on Seneca the last few years has not helped. I myself know at least a dozen folks that usually fish it and won't this year. I'll buy a ticket probably for myself but wont be fishing it unless I talk some clients into it. It needs an extra boost from a big business or two to bring in more folks. Also if they still have it, need to dump the getting a raffle ticket for the first fish you weigh in the first day. Talk about killing alot of small fish for nothing. Just get some cool prizes and raffle off to everyone that entered. Then guys that never fish on the lake would buy a ticket.

Thanks for the info Jason and the hard work putting the time in to find out the information. I was afraid that's what the reason would be.

Edited by Hookedup

I agree with Sean and add to that the fact that they don't seem to have gone out of their way to attract new folks to the derby in the way of advertising it widely. Add to that even many of the folks on LOU have seen info suggesting that it can be pretty tough fishing on Seneca these days especially if you don't frequently fish the lake or are familiar with it. I have tried to share info with folks from out of the area who have PM'd me etc. If the current folks on the committee are really interested in maintaining  the derby they should be exploiting every possible avenue of advertising (e.g. newspapers repeatedly, TV news stations upcoming events calendars, or other public venues) and re-examining the structure of the derby prize structure to see if they can offer  a change as Sean mentioned regarding the raffle process. I know it may be a bit late for major changes but some sort of "enticement" might help the situation (e..g. blind drawings at everyday for all entrants regardless of entering fish or not). I know that part of the motivation for the weigh in of fish has related to the collection of data by the DEC but continuation of the derby may be a higher priority right now.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks Jason for going out of your way to get info for all of us.. Much appreciated! Advertising is a huge thing to keep people informed other than signs up at sign up places for the Derby I don't think I have ever seen any advertising other than that? So can see why the entry's have gone down. ... Sean couldn't agree with you more on the the way the drawing goes... Those smaller fish should be going back instead of brought In for chance at a prize.. If your entered in the tournament you should automatically get a chance at a door prize without bringing in the fish...

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

Couldn't agree with you more and if we could figure out how to get it to Sampson State Park ( A former military training base ) and a place that could use this support right now and for future years to come that would be even better... There has to be a big fishing company out there that would be willing to sponsor a big part of this too... I think as a group we could all come together as a great team, tag teaming all the different aspects and come up with some just as good or I think even better tournament than we have now...

Mike

Mike has a good point here... We all have our individual contacts and collectively we can help the future and expand on the current derby.

Sean and les raise a good point as well. Those ideas will be discussed at the next meeting.

On another note.. The boat raffle is costing the derby a lot of money. Some ideas on replacing the boat raffle for something other than a boat or cash need consideration.

Could we start a list of what folks would like to see happen to improve the overall experience of the derby?

Mike has a good point here... We all have our individual contacts and collectively we can help the future and expand on the current derby.

Sean and les raise a good point as well. Those ideas will be discussed at the next meeting.

On another note.. The boat raffle is costing the derby a lot of money. Some ideas on replacing the boat raffle for something other than a boat or cash need consideration.

Could we start a list of what folks would like to see happen to improve the overall experience of the derby?

What I've been told is that the marina and I'm not sure which one actually charges them to bring it down for the weekend for viewing purposes on sight and they charge like $500.00 to $700.00 to do that... One would like to think with all the free advertising the marina is getting with there sign sitting on it all weekend they would be willing to do it for free or pennies of that cost...

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

Jason as for the boat raffle, why not get hold of the sponsors or take the time out to find new sponsors to donate equipment whether it be fishing related or not. I remember years ago the used to do door prizes and haven't seen that in a long time. After the original Chamber burnt down it seemed as the group didn't have the passion to do the derby any further. If you look at the list of donations, they companies that are on there have been for many many years so at some point they are gonna drop off as well. New blood might be the answer for this whole thing. Technology plays a roll to, they update the site maybe twice a day so if your in contention you would have to drive to N end to see what's on the board. I am no spring chicken but for the amount of years I have fished this derby it's always the same ole same ole. People can only see the same thing so long and they are gonna lose interest. Also thanks for all the research and info for keeping us up to date. Tom Riley

What I've been told is that the marina and I'm not sure which one actually charges them to bring it down for the weekend for viewing purposes on sight and they charge like $500.00 to $700.00 to do that... One would like to think with all the free advertising the marina is getting with there sign sitting on it all weekend they would be willing to do it for free or pennies of that cost...

Mike

That is correct. They not only charge 700$ for them to display the boat, someone from the derby has to go get it and take it back... Go figure that. In addition, if the winner chooses the boat over the 3500 in cash, the derby has to pay over 7000 for that boat! Does not make much sense to me...

Despite having spent more than I should trying to win that boat for my son :lol:  maybe they should consider scraping that idea due to the costliness and instead have a raffle for cash supported by just the ticket sales itself which could help offset personal derby expenses for the raffle winner or winners :)  Cash prizes always seem to go over big with folks as many already have boats and that other arrangement of the $3500 or the boat seems like a "hussle" to me and overly expensive as a propostion.

Edited by Sk8man

Jason as for the boat raffle, why not get hold of the sponsors or take the time out to find new sponsors to donate equipment whether it be fishing related or not. I remember years ago the used to do door prizes and haven't seen that in a long time. After the original Chamber burnt down it seemed as the group didn't have the passion to do the derby any further. If you look at the list of donations, they companies that are on there have been for many many years so at some point they are gonna drop off as well. New blood might be the answer for this whole thing. Technology plays a roll to, they update the site maybe twice a day so if your in contention you would have to drive to N end to see what's on the board. I am no spring chicken but for the amount of years I have fished this derby it's always the same ole same ole. People can only see the same thing so long and they are gonna lose interest. Also thanks for all the research and info for keeping us up to date. Tom Riley

Updating the standings was a key topic to last nights meeting. Those interested in the future of the derby would like to see a more modern approach to dealing with the handling and processing of those statistic's. Given that the derby is very near to start, I don't believe you will see that happen this year, but it is at the top of the list for improvements.

As far as the boat raffle, I don't see that continuing due to the costs. The board was split on that idea, why I can't understand, but it is clear that the derby is not the winner in that exchange.

Despite having spent more than I should trying to win that boat for my son :lol:  maybe they should consider scraping that idea due to the costliness and instead have a raffle for cash supported by just the ticket sales itself which could help offset personal derby expenses for the raffle winner or winners :)  Cash prizes always seem to go over big with folks as many already have boats and that other arrangement of the $3500 or the boat seems like a "hussle" to me and overly expensive as a propostion.

Les, if you win the raffle this year... Please take the money! LOL!!!!

On a personal note, after going back and reading all the posts I'd like to say thank you for all the positive feed back! I also would like to thank all of you for your support and the several " thank you" comment's and the appreciation for my time and effort. I hope we can continue the legacy of the National Lake Trout Derby!

Any marina/business man that charges 700 to display the boat from their marina with their advertising on it should be dragged into the street and beat to death along with who ever agreed to pay it. What a joke