National Lake Trout Derby

The hell with that boat, that's a rip off!  Time to find a reasonable marina or adjust the prize structure.

Not speaking for anyone, just an idea, but what about having a Seneca charter trip or two for raffle winners?  Would be a good way to show people unfamiliar with Seneca techniques how to catch more fish (make them more interested in the derby on their own boat) and give charters an opportunity for advertising and help build a client base.  Might be especially good for someone trying to get started in the business?

Money is the central issue...

Involve some wineries? Prize packages for raffles? Might be a positive way to bridge the conservation questions everyone has with them regarding runoff etc...  Just a few thoughts.

Yeah the boat raffle  has to go imo...maybe just replace with a 50/50 raffle? funds from that can transfer into the next years prizes maybe. Would hate to see this end. been fishing it since I was 6. 31st year! Im sure multiple sponsors can be found. I have very lle time on my hands between working full time, two little kids and a fire dept line officer but will help any way I can

I served on the board of directors for several years as one of the FLTA reps along with Harvey and Joe. It was without a doubt one of the most frustrating things I have ever been involved in.

Let me tackle one  of the easy points first. The small fish lottery drawing was instituted to help the DEC with their creel census. DEC was only seeing big fish brought to scale and they wanted a broader sample to more accurately measure fish population dynamics. DEC does not typically gill net on Seneca, and while angler diaries provide some info, the data obtained from the Lake Trout Derby remains it's best source to determine the state of the cold water fisheries in Seneca Lake.

If you think winning $100 for a landlock salmon is bad, you didn't fish the derby when there wasn't a landlock division at all.

Most of the board of directors do not fish and belong to groups like the Geneva Teachers Ass. or a barbershop singing club.....their only interest was "earning" some easy money for their groups.

Since the official start time is 6:00 AM on Saturday morning, Mr. Morehouse decided that anyone taking the polygraph test would be asked about their start time and DQ'ed if they fished before 6:00 AM Saturday, even if the fish were caught on Sunday or Monday. Since a virtual armada of boats are on the water and many fishing before 6, I tried to get the start time changed to Midnight or 5AM. I might as well have tried to bail out the lake.....

My frustrations were heightened by the fact that I had fished other derbies like the Red Cross Derby which were run by people who didn't fish either- but were smart enough to listen to the people they consulted  with (especially Mike Burt Sr)

I weighed a fish in at Myers and within minutes it was on the board at Watkins. Years later, this is something that the technology resistant dinosaurs in Geneva haven't figured out. It shouldn't take an entire day to get data from Watkins Glen to Geneva!

The charter idea is a great idea, and the 50/50 is also a great idea. Keep them coming cause I have a list started.

Thanks to Catherine Valley Outfitters and Mike Burt of Iron Duke Flies for their pledge of support for next years event! The first of many to come...

Bigfoot, I here your MSG and I assure you things will change. The directors are all on board with the idea that it has to evolve. I assure you it will. I'm looking forward to seeing you at FLTA events soon. You and June have certainly been missed. Owasco is next, the date is June 5th. Hope to see you both there!

Fish finder, I pilot, down riggers. Cheaper then a boat. $700 toward a prize sounds like a better use of money then for people to look at a boat.

Hope to get my boat finished before then but I have lots of work ahead of me... Hope its not the last year. I always wanted to try the derby as a kid.

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've been fishing all my life and when a buddy calls me up and tells me he bumped me from the brown division after I just weighed in a 7 lb bow and would of been in second a few years ago was the most frustrating thing I've experienced. Not starting until 6 is also a hard rule to enforce and I don't get me wrong I love this derby and spend lot of $ to participate as well as I'm sure many others especially making a camping weekend out of it

Put me on the board. I'll donate a charter if it helps every year. No questions asked... I like the idea. And to be honest, can't pay for that kind of advertising...

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You know we may bust each other on both the north and south of Seneca Lake but when the chips are down regarding something important the brotherhood of fishermen comes through united :)  Maybe this is an opportunity to improve something we ll care about greatly.

Edited by Sk8man

You know we may bust each other on both the north and south of Seneca Lake but when the chips are down regarding something important the brotherhood of fishermen comes through united :)  Maybe this is an opportunity to improve something we ll care about greatly.

Thaw the best thing about groups like this, get the word out and we all band together no matter the circumstances. This derby is a very long tradition for many families including mine. We won't let this die off and it will continue. Long Live the Lake Trout Derby

Ok, so if I have this correct, in addition to Catherine Valley Outfitters and Iron Duke Flies we also have Reel Stories Charter, and Reel Dilemma Charter on board as potential replacements for the boat raffle and door prizes?

Looking good so far. Lets keep them coming. Thanks everyone.

I just want to say thanks to you guys offering Charters.  It seems as though Charter's would be a great option to draw people and wouldn't cost the tournament organization anything.  This will be the first year I am going to fish the tournament but planned on it being a tradition in upcoming years.  

Jim

Adding Sean, with Reel Hooked Up Charter. Thank you Sean.

Many Thanks to all who have stepped up to support the future of the National Lake Trout Derby!

Let's keep them coming, and remind everyone, online registration ends soon so if your planning to do it online, do it this weekend.

For current standing's during the derby, like and follow " National Lake Trout Derby On Seneca Lake" on Facebook.

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

Hello  fellow anglers,   so i am thinking of fishing this fine event next weekend for the first time.     i have a few questions that i am having trouble finding answers on.   I  looked at the official site as well as a facebook page but I am looking for rules.  I understand the headquarters are in Geneva but is there a weigh in site in Watkins or anywhere else on the east shore?  Also, I am  looking to get a transient slip for saturday and sunday night.   Do any of you have suggestions in the Watkins Area?   Any other advice that might help would be great.   Thanks again and good luck to all of you.

Sounds like things may be headed in a positive direction. So will this continue as "Sports-o-rama"? Or will a new organization be formed? If so, who will the board consist of? Will this continue to be a "for profit" event?

As a kid I really wanted to win that O & M lure box so we always had 1 in the water. With this in mind, I want to thank all who are stepping up for charters and tackle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds like things may be headed in a positive direction. So will this continue as "Sports-o-rama"? Or will a new organization be formed? If so, who will the board consist of? Will this continue to be a "for profit" event?

As a kid I really wanted to win that O & M lure box so we always had 1 in the water. With this in mind, I want to thank all who are stepping up for charters and tackle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My dad put the tackle box full of O&M's up for quite a few years... Every year he was extremely excited that someone would win that box of his spoons more excited for that then the derby itself I believe lol... I think with all of us brainstorming and working together this tournament will definitely stick around and probably be stronger than ever to be honest with you it definitely needs some new blood some new ideas and yes we need to use technology to our advantage and keep things updated possibly even get some small flat screen TVs at each weigh station and we can just somehow update them directly from the internet instead of moving cards on the big board yes I understand the big board is cool to see your name on and everything and possibly we could still do that too but we definitely need to look into and take advantage of the technology we have in today's world it's also nice to jump on your cell phone while you're out on the water and you have that questionable fish on whether it would make the board or not if we could check real quick while we are on the water and we see that the fish would not make the board some of us probably would release that fish to Live Another Day..

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

Yeah Mike I think the technology has improved a bit since the 70's and early 80's when the CB's were the main game and they had Derby Control at the Chamber with a lady operating the microphone who didn't know jack about fishing and a few people would be repeatedly asking what the leading fish was and others cutting her off by clicking the mike buttons and making noises etc. :lol: There is some real potential now for having meaningful input that could really improve things :yes: 

8891ab4cac99731c35c52295de6761c8.jpg

That's the whole problem I have with this.. Geneva is suppose to be the Lake Trout Capital Of The World and they want the Sports Orama to pay them to use their facilities ?? Come on that's a Joke!! They should want to support this derby it's part of the city's history... If Geneva wants to get rid of it and Watkins doesn't want to pick it up I think we as a group should present this derby to New York State and ask them to run it once a year as a way of trying to possibly save Sampson State Park .. They have Staff already working their , they have plenty of room for camping and a launch and a marina, plus plenty of room for a ceremony after.. If we could somehow figure out how to get more people to come there for the weekend and stay for tournament it's a win win...

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Could not have said that better...