National Lake Trout Derby

I think it would also help promote the Derby and the lake itself if some of the boaters had room to take non boaters with them. We do this for our clubs tourneys down here. It is a great experience for the non boater and many times they show up to our next tourney with their own boat! 

My dad put the tackle box full of O&M's up for quite a few years... Every year he was extremely excited that someone would win that box of his spoons more excited for that then the derby itself I believe lol... I think with all of us brainstorming and working together this tournament will definitely stick around and probably be stronger than ever to be honest with you it definitely needs some new blood some new ideas and yes we need to use technology to our advantage and keep things updated possibly even get some small flat screen TVs at each weigh station and we can just somehow update them directly from the internet instead of moving cards on the big board yes I understand the big board is cool to see your name on and everything and possibly we could still do that too but we definitely need to look into and take advantage of the technology we have in today's world it's also nice to jump on your cell phone while you're out on the water and you have that questionable fish on whether it would make the board or not if we could check real quick while we are on the water and we see that the fish would not make the board some of us probably would release that fish to Live Another Day..

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mike,

I had no idea of that connection.  That is pretty cool your dad put that box up for the derbies.

Last minute sign-up question? Was in Seattle for work the past couple weeks and completely forgot to enter the derby until this week. Used the on-line entry via PayPal - do I need a Reg card or is the PayPal receipt enough to enter fish should we get lucky?

Last minute sign-up question? Was in Seattle for work the past couple weeks and completely forgot to enter the derby until this week. Used the on-line entry via PayPal - do I need a Reg card or is the PayPal receipt enough to enter fish should we get lucky?

If I remember correctly if you end up weighing a fish or just stopping by to check things out you show them your receipt or license and they will give your card there.

the national lake trout derby has been on Seneca lake along time . I think it should stay there. its time to pass the torch I believe to a group that will improve the derby . there been some awesome ideals said here on lou just my opinion

Teams sound good but someone said something about helping non boaters that want to get in. I'd be interested in something like that. Bought a boat last year, learned the basics, then found out I got stiffed on the boat... And stuck back on shore. I was rushing to finish my boat but ended up slicing a finger open...

Kinda heart breaking if its the last year... Sounds like it will continue. Hope so.

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree with fisherdude. The team approach is fine for the more hardcore events like the ones on Lake O but the Trout derby on Seneca has always been a family event where even young children can participate (each of mine did from an early age). The team format is more "rigorous" competitive environment than the current derby format and I think may spoil the family atmosphere of the the Seneca derby.  No need to complicate things in that regard with increased rule structure etc. there are already enough of those highly competitive situations going on and I think it could turn off a lot of folks who aren't into that type of format. As it is things are relatively informal but "controlled" (e.g. polygraph testing") but more relaxed rule-wise.  I fished the ESLO derbies and the Lake O stuff for years and it is a lot of fun and highly competitive but it isn't for everyone....The Seneca derby seems "special" in that regard and it would probably be wise from a survival standpoint to keep it that way with some of the "enhancements" currently being suggested, better prize structuring,  and increased emphasis on advertising, and accessible updating of information. Just my two cents from fishing both types of derbies for  the last 45 years or so :) .

Edited by Sk8man

If it went to Cayuga I wouldn't fish it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Why ?? Can't you find a big enough floating ramp to jump over the hill ?? Lmao.. I agree it's a tradition thing and should definitely stay on Seneca. . Seneca Lake is a bit different than most of the finger lakes sometime she struggles giving up her bounties and can be a whole different animal when weather and waves come in to play.

It started here and should stay here..As Donald Trump would say " We Are Gonna Make The National Lake Trout Derby Great Again" lol

Mike

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just a seneca tradition. If I wanted to fish cayuga Derby's I would take the boat over. Have no interest. Senecas home. And so is the derby.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Agreed

the national lake trout derby has been on Seneca lake along time . I think it should stay there. its time to pass the torch I believe to a group that will improve the derby . there been some awesome ideals said here on lou just my opinion

I've spent a lot of time at Sheldrake point on Cayuga. We had our own locker at Driftwood inn for our fishing gear. The same with the old Fred's place on hemlock rd on Seneca. Since the 70's it seems when one lake is hot, the other isn't. its been that way ever since I can remember.

As far as the Derby, it should stay at Seneca. Think of all the people who rent campsites, rv sites, motels and dock space. Now think about how much chaos you would cause by announcing the derby is going to move to Cayuga...thousands of people, most of them having a tradition of using the same location and logistics for years would now have to find other accommodations? No, that would be a bad move for the derby and all the businesses that depend on it.

Regarding "passing the torch". I believe there has been some excellent ideas put out here. I have had tons of people reach out to me to be sponsors, donars, and volunteers. I look forward to all the positive talk and advise from the vast knowledge of members of the LOU community. I'm not going to put names out there.. But some good people with fishing, particularly tournament fishing backgrounds have come forward to be considered new board and commity members for Sports-o-rama. I believe the input and knowledge they will offer to the group will be very positive. In the coming years, I believe you will see some very positive changes for the future of the National Lake Trout Derby!

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

great lakes lure maker I would like to thank you for the hard work you have already done .      keeping the information flowing has already improve the derby to me . I would like   to see you on the board if you are already not thanks again

Edited by fisherdude