I'm headed out Wednesday with a few buddies out of Ibay. After attending my first Salmon School this past winter, I've had a recent spark of interest in trying to put a few cohos in the box. Ultimately my goal is to put the guys on a couple kings, but my question is, is it worth it to throw a couple(newly purchased) coho rigs out there? I have small orange SDs and a few small orange Dodgers.

I haven't heard many reports of any cohos nor have I hooked any yet this year while targeting Browns, which I typically have in the past. Should I throw a couple stackers up high dragging orange?

You can run those orange flashers and dodgers on leadcore with 2-5 colors probably about right.....or run them off mono rods with keel weights.  Slider spoons in orange or blue/green colors work well.  Think the top 20'.

Is tried targeting coho while fishing kings each time out last year and never got one. With that said, never got a king either hahaha

Try the #1 lure Jensen red yellow or orange Dodgers and about 3 foot behind it a DW SS in lemon or orange crush off 10 lengths of leadcore at 2.7 mph near a scum line. There will be steelhead or coho.

Try the #1 lure Jensen red yellow or orange Dodgers and about 3 foot behind it a DW SS in lemon or orange crush off 10 lengths of leadcore at 2.7 mph near a scum line. There will be steelhead or coho.

I will keep this info!

Anything orange or pink in the prop wash will get you a coho if they are around.

ok I have heard of this before, how fsr back would u say this is? 5 feet or 20 feet?

Coho bite has been "off" around Olcott this spring. I have been out 6 times this year and have caught one so far. I think this year class is the last year of reduced stocking due to "eye-up" egg issues at the Altmar hatchery so there may be less swimming around out there

Edited by Gill-T

• 3 weeks later...

40-60 back and 8-12 down had always been a good coho setup for me on the rigger

I have had really good luck on both Lake Superior and Lake Michigan this spring with the same depths on my my riggers, and pulling the orange 00 Luhr Jensen Herring dodgers with blue peanut flies, for cohos.  Also done very well on 3 color and 75' copper rods with the same dodgers and flies off the boards.  seems like every time I would see fish in the 20' and under depth, I would get bit, too.  This was in water from 40'-250' deep.  Those cohos always seem to be near the surface.  I miss those bigger, Lake Ontario cohos, though!! :)