Wanted Looking for a Sea Ray 290 Amberjack or similar layout

Had a boat surveyed in FL. Dealer lied about hours on boat and told me all systems where operational. I am out $600.00 dollars due to there false representation of the boat. :envy:

Don't be afraid to give the dealers name out if they lied to you. How many hours were you told and how many were actual ? What systems were not operational ? What did the rest of the survey say about the overall condition? Could of been worse, at least you didn't fly down there ,get a room,rent a car, and meet up with the surveyor and then pay him. Still it sucks were deceived by a dealer. I paid for two surveys last year and saved myself the headache of buying the first boat along with the travel involved to "pre- inspect" it. Something will pop up and make it all worth while !

Tiara makes a wonderful boat for sure. Wife likes the interior of the Sea Ray better seeing she makes more money then me and spends just as much time on the boat as I do. I kinda have to listen to her a little. :ninja:

Not sure of your price range, but there is a guy at my Marina in Erie that was talking about selling his. 2001 290 Amberjack with v-drives, clean, lower hours, fresh water boat. I believe he was looking at mid 40's.

So I finally received my deposit back from Gulf to Lake marine and trailer. So in short here is what happened I was in FL and seen this boat. (see attached) I decided this is the one, after speaking to Ian the sales manager. I contacted a surveyor and went for it.  The biggest issue was that it is advertised w/ 424 hours. THE HOUR METERS DO NOT WORK!  Here is a list of a FEW items that where wrong with the boat.

1.Hour meters don't work

2. RPM gauges don't work

3. Port motor flooded through exhaust with water during launch and would not start for 2 hours ( Never heard of such a thing)

4. generator would quit when motors started

5. a/c did not work

6. chips in coat

ext. 

http://www.gulftolakesales.com/2000-sea-ray-amberjack-290/

If it was launched with the trailer and the flapper valve on the port engine was shot it probably would let water into the engine. If dropped in with a hoist it would not. IMHO the 5.0 is to small of a power plant for that hull. Not a big fan of I/Os that were in salt water. Lot of small issues that add up, keep looking and I would be looking for straight inboard for that size boat.

To clarify, the exhaust pipe near the outdrive has a flapler valve  to keep water from back flushing into the engine, when anchored,trolling or drifting in rough water. That valve can and does corrode away over time. Inboards will have a inline  riser and or a rubber flapper on the transom keep water from coming in the wrong way.

Computer is slow ,that's the reason for spelling errors. Don't have all day. Anyway EFI / MPI engines are computer controlled ,so a scanner will give you the actual hours if the hour meter isn't working ,semi surprised they didn't mention that unless there just clueless. So in the future if you are looking at a boat and question the hours tell them to bust out a scanner.

• 1 month later...

Hard to tell, is she a 31 or 29 ? We bought our boat up at the same time last year just down the road,in Mystic Ct and brought her home the weekend after Labor day. The exhaust manifolds should be your only concern as they last about 5 years in the salt. Looks good and ready for fresh water. Start saving up for your trolling gear !