Leaking Live Well Intake

Jdavismmu

Hi guys-I purchased a new to me 2008 Starcraft Superfisherman. The Hull in like new, and everything is in excellent condition. On my first trip out, I noticed I had to run the bilge alot in a two hour run. There seemed to be water coming in. I had no idea where. Last night, I found out. I docked the boat and looked down into the bilge area. I noticed water coming in at my live well intake. I am assuming there is a bad seal. When I pulled the boat out of the water, I left my plug in, and sure enough, water came out of the intake. I was wondering if anybody every had this happen, and if so, is there an easy fix? I would assume pulling the pipe out and resealing? Also-I don't really use the live well. Could a quick fix be pulling out the tubing, leaving the pump in the bilge, and just plugging the hole? Do they cut those holes the same size as drain holes? I would think so, but thought I would ask. Love the new boat. Hoping this isn't a major issue! 

post-157895-0-54131500-1463661300_thumb.jpg

Do not pull the hose without the tubing on it the pumps are not water tight meaning they rely on the head pressure from being above the water line to keep your boat from filling with water. Once you pull the tube your pump will become a 2nd  drain plug. Get one of the plugs in the link below and put one in the lake side of the pump and one on the bilge side of pump. I would then recommend replacing the hose/tubing.

http://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=livewell+plug 

Not enough info here. Is it leaking around the seal where the fitting goes through the hull? Or is it leaking from the body of the pump? Or is it leaking at the fitting where the hose that goes to the livewell is connected to the pump? Or is there a crack in the hose? Knowing exactly where it is leaking will help to determine what can be done to fix the problem. It looks like there is a second livewell pump as well and it looks like the port to the left where there is a plug, is the drain port for the live wells. Seeing the plug there makes me wonder why that  plug is there. Maybe the livewell drain plumbing also has a leaking issue?

Not enough info here. Is it leaking around the seal where the fitting goes through the hull? Or is it leaking from the body of the pump? Or is it leaking at the fitting where the hose that goes to the livewell is connected to the pump? Or is there a crack in the hose? Knowing exactly where it is leaking will help to determine what can be done to fix the problem. It looks like there is a second livewell pump as well and it looks like the port to the left where there is a plug, is the drain port for the live wells. Seeing the plug there makes me wonder why that  plug is there. Maybe the livewell drain plumbing also has a leaking issue?

I tried plugging those two drain plugs based on the amount of water I noticed coming in the first time I took the boat out. I just thought I would plug them to see if that would do anything. I almost positive it is leaking around the seal of the through hull. When looking down into the bilge while it was docked, I could see evidence of water slowly entering there. I did not notice it coming from the fitting. Of course, I didn't have the pump on either...Going to take a closer look at it today. Maybe I can have more specific info later. Thanks for responding! 

I have the same thing happening to my 1991 22.5 Islander but havent found exactly where the water is entering from. I suspected the livewell intake too but upon inspecting it I cant see how it would be entering there. unless maybe I have a pipe cracked.

I have the same thing happening to my 1991 22.5 Islander but havent found exactly where the water is entering from. I suspected the livewell intake too but upon inspecting it I cant see how it would be entering there. unless maybe I have a pipe cracked.

a cracked pipe is something I am going to start with tonight, if i can get home soon enough from a little league game! 

More than likely the pump is cracked. If there was any water in it over winter it would have cracked. I had this happen to me one year. My pump and threw hull fitting is one unit. I purchased a PVC cap at home depot to stop water from entering until the new pump came in.

More than likely the pump is cracked. If there was any water in it over winter it would have cracked. I had this happen to me one year. My pump and threw hull fitting is one unit. I purchased a PVC cap at home depot to stop water from entering until the new pump came in.

That is what I am going to do. I found the problem last night. I hooked a hose up to the intake and lightly turned it on. The water came into the bilge through the through hull seal. Just purchasing the boat, I haven't used the pump at all so I didn't think it was that. Should be an easy fix. It is getting fixed June 1st. I am just going to cap it until then.