How to slow my boat down?

Hey guys, so I want to fish Ontario this weekend. But my kicker motor is in for spring maintenance. Just was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to slow my boat down to the 2.0 mph range. I was thinking maybe a drift sock? Or put something on my big motor? It's a 18' boat with a 120 hp mercury on it. Any info is greatly appreciated. Also is running my big motor down in rpm's bad for It?

Sent from my VS810PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just as over the limit said. I did that when I first got my boat cause I couldn't afford a kicker right off the bat. I put a 3" hole dead center in bottom and drilled a bunch of half inch hole around the sides. Tied them off to front cleats and was good to go. Cheapest way around until your kicker gets fixed

I used a drift sock once and found that you lose a lot of steering that way. I have a trolling plate (they aren't expensive) and it works well.

I run Trolling bags all the time, not just to slow down but to stabilize the boat, way less surge from waves and there isn't any loss of boat control, vs. a Trolling plate where you WILL loose lots of control.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bags are much better for boat control than a Trolling plate. Mobility? It takes me 10 sec. To pull my bags if I want to stop trolling.

Mobility - the ability to move or be moved freely and easily. The the mobility of your boat! Trolling bags are affected by currents and sway back and forth while turning and are not reliable for control over your boat. A trolling plate attaches directly to you lower unit centered and bolted in. It can easily move with the turn of the wheel (mobility) and does not create excessive uneven current that can throw off side planers or flat lines. In My Opinion a trolling plate is a better choice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know the definition of Mobility, A Trolling plate takes thrust of your motor and pushes it to the sides, taking away control. Bags stabilize your boat, not toss you about with the currents, ds. you keep using it but that plate. I guarantee you will have better boat control with bags set up right over a plate.

Ford vs Chevy :lol: . 

I have a ford....... (Happy Troller - Large ) for sale if anyone is interested.  It is reinforced and much stronger than the stock model.  Would prefer not to ship. Can be picked up in the Binghamton area.

I know the definition of Mobility, A Trolling plate takes thrust of your motor and pushes it to the sides, taking away control. Bags stabilize your boat, not toss you about with the currents, ds. you keep using it but that plate. I guarantee you will have better boat control with bags set up right over a plate.

Have you tried trolling in a bay with those bags? Your telling me the current does not sway your bags while trolling? You must be new at this.

I fish Lake Superior, and Lake Michigan Almost weekly when there is no ice, so kinda think I know what up. I forgot more about fishing than you know buddie

Let's list all of the fishing I do and then claim to know more. Are you 14? anything you can do I can do better....listen "buddie" I just offered my opinion why are are you so mad bro does your wife not allow you to fish everyday?

I had a trolling plate on my main and HATED it. Then I tried bags and now I have a kicker and still run small bags every day. Bags stabilize the boat. I could see bags not being as effective if there was a lot of current but I have never had the issue. For now until your kicker is back buckets work very well.

Edited by Buckmaster7600

I had a trolling plate on my main and HATED it. Then I tried bags and now I have a kicker and still run small bags every day. Bags stabilize the boat. I could see bags not being as effective if there was a lot of current but I have never had the issue. For now until your kicker is back buckets work very well.

What didn't you like about it?

Being new to trolling and only experimenting at around 2.5-3mph, what speed do you usually troll at (not to hijack the thread but seems relevant given the subject of speed) Thanks!