2017 NYS Winter Classic Tournament - Update

With over $35k in secured sponsorships already, next year's event is really shaping up nicely!! Talks are still ongoing with several large sponsors, so all details will be released later this year, but here are some of the changes/additions for next season's event:

1) We will be adding up to 10 new weigh-in stations across the state. These will be added to the map once secured over the next couple months. 

2) Each station will be outfitted with 10 or more sponsored items (valued at $15-$90 including ice combos, shanty lights, chairs, jig kits, etc.) to be given away to the first 10 or more anglers that register during our early bird registration period (Sept. 1 through Sept. 31). So an angler could sign up for $25 and receive a $90 straight line combo! These items will be on display at each location starting in August. 

3) Each station will be outfitted with a shanty/shelter to act as a local contest for the fish that are weighed in at that location. This will be up to the station to decide what will win it (i.e. overall largest fish, random draw from fish entered, etc.). These will be on display starting in November.

4) New Catch & Release options will be available for the Trout and Pike divisions (online entry only), and will draw from a separate pool of money. 

We will continue to work on next season's event - stay tuned for updates and if you haven't already, give the event a "like" on Facebook to get the latest news and announcements!

• 4 months later...

The 2017 event is quickly becoming the largest event in NY state - now with over $70,000 in secured sponsorship funding and prizes, including a $2500 Grand Prize sponsored by Clam Corp, a $5000 Case Canoe Package, a shanty at every weigh-in location to give away (50 in total), and a ton of other cash and gear packed into the weekly and monthly awards!! Get all the details at: www.NYSwinterclassic.com or follow us on Facebook! Right now we are running down this year's list of sponsors presenting one each day on the website and Facebook pages.

Only a couple days left to get in on the Early Bird Registration Promo and score some free gear (ends Sept. 30th) - stop in to your local weigh-in to register today!!

• 1 month later...

The event now has over $75k in sponsored cash & prizes, including 54 shanties to give away! New weigh-in locations have been added to the map as the event continues to grow (http://www.nyswinterclassic.com/2015Weigh-In-Station-Map.html) - registration is only $25 and available at most weigh-in locations as well as online off of the website. Stay tuned for more updates!

post-139632-0-53870000-1478257818_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to it.  Looks like you have done a lot of work so I hope you get the turnout you are hoping for. 

Only things I would maybe like to see different are with the two big prize payouts. " #1: $2,500 Cash Grand Prize from Clam Outdoors - will go to one of the 1st place anglers by random draw.  #2: $5,100 Case Canoe Package from Case Canoes and Vital Signs - will go to the angler with the overall largest fish weighed in."

I think it might be better to split up the $2500 prize between the division winners if possible.  If the rest of the division winners only get a few hundred $ ( Hopefully more if you get a good turnout), That is a very steep potential difference between the winners based solely on a draw.

I can understand the canoe package prize probably isn't possible to split up in any way.  The slightly disappointing thing is the winner is very likely to be a pike from only a handful of potential waters. This unfortunately limits most anglers in the contest from having a great shot at it.  Maybe a random drawing for this would be a better option.

If this is the way it has to be this year then I would definitely consider making a stipulation that the same person can't win both of those prizes.  And maybe also not include the regular first place money for whomever wins these and spread that out to the other winners.

Again I really hope this event grows.  Entering your events has been a good way to keep the winter more interesting over the past couple seasons so I appreciate your efforts.  Hopefully I can place this year!

Looking forward to it.  Looks like you have done a lot of work so I hope you get the turnout you are hoping for. 

Only things I would maybe like to see different are with the two big prize payouts. " #1: $2,500 Cash Grand Prize from Clam Outdoors - will go to one of the 1st place anglers by random draw.  #2: $5,100 Case Canoe Package from Case Canoes and Vital Signs - will go to the angler with the overall largest fish weighed in."

I think it might be better to split up the $2500 prize between the division winners if possible.  If the rest of the division winners only get a few hundred $ ( Hopefully more if you get a good turnout), That is a very steep potential difference between the winners based solely on a draw.

I can understand the canoe package prize probably isn't possible to split up in any way.  The slightly disappointing thing is the winner is very likely to be a pike from only a handful of potential waters. This unfortunately limits most anglers in the contest from having a great shot at it.  Maybe a random drawing for this would be a better option.

If this is the way it has to be this year then I would definitely consider making a stipulation that the same person can't win both of those prizes.  And maybe also not include the regular first place money for whomever wins these and spread that out to the other winners.

Again I really hope this event grows.  Entering your events has been a good way to keep the winter more interesting over the past couple seasons so I appreciate your efforts.  Hopefully I can place this year!

Thanks for the input Shane! When it comes to the larger prizes, politics come into play along with the negotiations for the sponsorships that drive those prizes. It was discussed whether the Grand Prize would be a lump sum or split up and it was decided to be a lump sum this year. It was also negociated with Clam for the Case Canoe to go to the overall largest fish. My hope is that we can build enough revenue to carry a large sum over to the next year and then ramp up the 1st placements. This won't be possible for a few years yet though, as I have a substantial debt to eliminate first, but it is in the plans for the future of the event. As for the Case Canoe, it will likely go to either the pike or trout category winner. There are many waterways around the state with 20+ lb pike and any of the tribs for Lake Ontario can hold large trout as well, so while they aren't as prolific as panfish, there are still a ton of waterways available for anglers to go for the largest fish - this may enlighten many anglers to the true diversity and health of the fishery in our state as we see big fish coming from areas they didn't think big fish existed. Like the 20+ lb pike my brother in law put on the ice in Honeoye Lake last year! 

Each year will be different as far as sponsorships go and what I have to work with, but hopefully I'll be able to gain enough of a following that these will add to the prize structure and not determine it. This year our prize structure is simply amazing and I am expecting a sizable vent this year!

Edited by Finders Keepers

I appeared on the Outdoor Beat show last week discussing many of the details of this year's event, the prize structure, and many of the new products being given away! Have a listen and learn why this event will be one of the largest tournament events in the NE this year! 

https://livestream.com/LCTV20/events/2964614

• 2 weeks later...

We are now up to 58 weigh-in locations, all of which will have a shanty to give away! We will also be running a raffle for a power auger for those who register off the website online. If you come to the Fish307 event this Sat and register, you will get a shot at some extra gear (potentially 2 ice combos, 2 manual augers, and a power auger pending the number of registrants) with the first 25 to register getting a bonus! 

Anglers have started to hit the ice and we expect the flood of registrations to start - get in on this year's largest event and register today! www.NYSwinterclassic.com

• 3 weeks later...

The 2017 Winter Classic is underway with over 300 anglers competing and growing fast! The payouts have already increased in value and will increase again to Top 5 once we reach 500 anglers. The Lunker Pool is now over $1700 providing the first place anglers in the Lunker Pool with checks over $200 at this point, plus the 1 in 7 shot at the Clam Outdoors $2,500 Grand Prize Cash Award. The Weekly Prize Packages continue to grow in value as we acquire more items and gift certificates to pack into them! More sponsors are also coming forward as our exposure on Facebook alone has grown to monstrous levels (reaching over 16,000 people with over 1,650 engaged in the posts)!!

Many nice fish have hit the scales already as we have seen movement on the live leaderboards daily. Stay up with all the latest announcements and tourney news by following the event on Facebook. Some of our anglers will be guest speakers on the Let's Catch Fish radio show over he next few weeks, including Scott Brauer from Makiplastic and Rob Goffredo from Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle this Sat.

Registration runs throughout the event - anglers must register by 7am on the first day they wish to start entering fish. Online registrants (www.NYSwinterclassic.com) get entered into a Power auger Raffle, and those who enter at a shop get entered into that shop's Shanty Raffle. Remember, every day you are out fishing stop in to any of the weigh-in stations with a fish (whether it places or not) and gain an entries into the shanty raffles (one entry per person per day per station). Get registered today and join in the fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

The 2017 event is off to a great start with over 440 anglers competing and some nice fish already weighed-in. Follow the event on Facebook for the latest in tourney news, updates, and new leaders. If you're not in the event yet, it's only $25 and registration will remain open through the event - you must register by 7am on the first day you wish to start entering fish. Night time fishing has been included this year and there are 58 weigh-in locations for this year's event! Still over 6 weeks of tourney action - register today and join in the fun!!