Photo of 31"

Kevin J Legg

If you bleed them and double fillet removing the dark meat and lateral line I doubt you could tell a big one from a 5 pounder. Certainly wouldn't use them for fertilizer.

I agree! I've never had a "bad" walleye.  Anyone who thinks large walleyes aren't good table fare should try and eat a lake trout. :thinking:

I Have had some really tasty lake trout with nice pink meat.... I think the taste of a fish depends on many factors but handling from the minute its off the hook makes a significant difference regardless of species.

I'm not sure that bleeding helps the taste of the fish - maybe if done immediately by getting the acid out of the fish?  It definitely makes it easier and cleaner to filet.  Will have to test that theory this year. The wicked tuna guys definitely do that and then ice immediately and that's how they get paid so probably something to it.

Fileting the fish properly is key though.  Remove all non-white flesh and take out the lateral line completely.  You have to do this even with grocery store fish as well.  Also this is key for lakers tasting good 

Also, if you are into making your own stocks for soup, sauces etc, keep the spine and heads and you can make excellent home made fish stock.  Takes no time at all, eliminates waste and you would be surprised how much meat there is on a walleye head (other than just cheeks).  Save that meat and throw it on a salad or something.

Edited by Consigliere

Agree 10000% Bleeding makes a huge difference. You can see the difference in how translucent the meat is when you clean the fish and of course the meat tastes better. Google "ike Jeme". Some really interesting info on handling fish.

Commercial salmon trollers want top dollar for their fish. Immediately on landing a fish they remove the gills and evisorate the fish. Rinse them off with salt water and pack the inside with ice and bury them in ice. Even better are those that dip them in super cold brine and then glaze them with fresh water which deals the air from reaching the flesh. These salmon are air freighted to the finest restaurants.

Lake trout.  The ones we got long time ago from Canada not good at all.  From Lake Ontario were better but..  Those from Keyuka and the finger lakes taste real good, not walleyes but good tasting trout.