Lost fish on Jerkbaits?

Sometimes I’m have trouble keeping the toothy critters on with jerkbaits (1.5 to 3.5) oz. Ya some of them let go too quickly to react. But sometimes even after a good hook set and having the fish on for a bit it mysteriously gets off. Strangely when a 5 or more pound bass or walleye bites I rarely lose it. The problem is not lack of sharp hooks.

Thanks

Most fish, like bass and smaller muskies have mouths that are softer than a larger muskies mouth, and they are easier to hook.

I guess you are referring to 8-10" wood, dive and rise, or even gliders. Like a Latiano, Leo, LungeLumber, Suick, Bobbie, etc. Id say if you have sharp hooks, a cranked drag, and a good hookset then thats the best you can do. Sometimes "T"ing your hooks can help. Theres alot of wood on some of those baits. Some fish can get a pretty good grip on the wood when they bite and its hard to move the bait in their mouth to set the hooks. Plastic baits may be more bite resistant...like a jerko or a sledge. Sometimes they just dont get it. Not going to get them all. Dive and rise are usually pretty good hookers though. Gliders can get more misses but also attract alot of fish. A jerkbait will never have as good of a hooking percentage as a bucktail, but they are much more fun to fish.

Edited by Ivan

Most fish, like bass and smaller muskies have mouths that are softer than a larger muskies mouth, and they are easier to hook.

I guess you are referring to 8-10" wood, dive and rise, or even gliders. Like a Latiano, Leo, LungeLumber, Suick, Bobbie, etc. Id say if you have sharp hooks, a cranked drag, and a good hookset then thats the best you can do. Sometimes "T"ing your hooks can help. Theres alot of wood on some of those baits. Some fish can get a pretty good grip on the wood when they bite and its hard to move the bait in their mouth to set the hooks. Plastic baits may be more bite resistant...like a jerko or a sledge. Sometimes they just dont get it. Not going to get them all. Dive and rise are usually pretty good hookers though. Gliders can get more misses but also attract alot of fish. A jerkbait will never have as good of a hooking percentage as a bucktail, but they are much more fun to fish.

Thank you Ivan for the feedback. Baits I use anywhere from 5.5" to 9": some wood some plastic: Salt Water X-Rap, Shine and Glide, Treble-D, etc. I've often thought they got the bait in their mouths grapping the body without really getting the hooks in a position that allows for a solidly hooked fish. You seem to have gotten the nail on the head. My partner fishes with blades I defiantly get more hits. We both catch fish.

Sometimes I’m have trouble keeping the toothy critters on with jerkbaits (1.5 to 3.5) oz. Ya some of them let go too quickly to react. But sometimes even after a good hook set and having the fish on for a bit it mysteriously gets off. Strangely when a 5 or more pound bass or walleye bites I rarely lose it. The problem is not lack of sharp hooks.Thanks

The guys have similar problems with large salmon, they also have bone hard jaws. Many have switched out the treble hook for like a VMC extra sharp single hook and have increased their catch ratio. Just a thought.