Cannon Rigger Reel Set Screw Question

I'm replacing the cable on my Mag 10A riggers and noticed that the set screw is missing on one rigger, and its screwed in all the way on the other rigger. Should the set screw be backed out enough to contact the rigger cable or should it be screwed in all the way and NOT contact the rigger cable? My riggers have the short stop feature and PIC.

An online manual shows a diagram of a set screw sticking up 1/16" above the bottom of the reel, but I wanted to confirm this with someone who knows. I fully expected to find the set screws properly set by the PO, but that wasn't the case this time.

Thanks! The Cannon manual makes it sound like the set screw needs to sticking up a 1/16" in order for the short stop feature to work. I'll put the cable on today and hopefully head out for my first shakedown trip of the season. It's been a busy year around the house since February, and it's still just as busy around here. I hope the fishing is good later this summer because that's when all this work might finally be done. I was hoping to be out there fishing for Browns 2 months ago, but life happens.

Your set screw has to be tight , you cable has to touch your set screw , I didn't one time and had to put a jumper to the shaft to make the short stop work till I could take cable back off and do it right.

Making the set screw tight so that it touches the shaft AND the cable is going to be a problem because the set screw is only an inch long. It would have to be another half inch longer or more in order to touch the shaft AND the cable. According to the schematics, the set screw is 5/16"-18 thread x 1" long. Are set screws longer on the newer Mag 10 riggers?

Item number 13. 3393412- SCREW - SET 5/16" - 18 x 1 (REEL)

They look longer on fish307.

Edited by Todd in NY

#1 it has to be tight on the shaft or the spool will slip.

I think the one I was talking about above was short like yours.....you can also put a crimp or something metal on top of the set screw..... or take your short one to a hardware store and get one long enough to stick out to touch cable

Ok, thanks for the info. This is why I didn't put the cable on yesterday. The set screws on fish307 are a different part number, so that's why I didn't order them. I can make these work, they worked with the old cable on them (somehow).