Fishing deck and I/O cover mod.

chowder

Can no longer abide by the I/O doghouse in the back of my Islander. 40+ fish days with 45 lbers mixed in on the Hudson these past 2 months have convinced me I need something different for a boat but I do really like my marriage, so until I'm actually making $ while fishing I need to come up with something.

I'm going to True Value right now and getting a sheet of 3/4 marine plywood. Plan to cover the whole I/O and back deck area with roughly  1/2 a sheet, making the back fishing deck 1 level. Because the air cleaner/valve cover/pulley do stick up about 8" above the rest of the motor I'm going to create a steppped up area 8" taller than the rest of this new deck that will cover those components. A small set of steps immediately accessible from between the twin swivel seats in the canvas wheel house will provide easy access to this new mostly flat fishing area. My goal will be to make this a  more or less a single piece unit that can go in or out using our skid steer or tractor loader. Anybody who has any experience with anything like this, or anybody with any ideas along this line at all, chime in please. I'll post some pictures that should, if nothing else, provide for some good laughs.

You might get a little more noise but add a vent to the front so that engine can breathe a little. I know most will say you don't need it but it will help circulate the heat in the smaller dog house.

Thanks for the input guys. as far as ventilation: the floor is open at the front.

Railing: I'm building a removable railing that goes all the way around the transom from the rocket launcher which will also make going up to deploy and haul the anchor.  As far as the rollin goes I have this to say: 

1. Boats roll, it's what keeps them from tipping over.

2. In an tin can boat you get used to everything going every which way every time somebody moves

3. uh, I forgot what I was going to say...

Anyway, this mod cost me about a hundred bucks & pretty sure the rate of return on it is going to be off the charts.

You might get a little more noise but add a vent to the front so that engine can breathe a little. I know most will say you don't need it but it will help circulate the heat in the smaller dog house.

X2 on the vent

Can't say for sure but it looks like pressure treated , big no no on aluminum.

Also did you raise the floor I assume ? It looks like the same 3 piece floor as originally.

I hope there is some sort of air space under there . The biggest issue with the Starcraft islander ( I own 1 ) , is they foam everything right tight and up to the floor thus creating zero air space to allow wood to dry or water to drain out of the hull .

Good luck and be safe

Whole new subfloor is wide open at the front. 3" screened over holes where new floor meets transom. This floor vents 10x better than original. Don't care about noise, only use main for steaming to and fro

• 2 weeks later...

I love it. You've improved ventilation and raised the rails. I dont think the boat will roll much more than before but you will probably notice it more. My only suggestion would be anti skid paint or snap down carpet or something similar for traction. Enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

just looked at the pic.a couple 2x4's and a stepladder and you could build a nice tuna tower too

Ray,I'm waiting for you and your service van and tools to help me convert to your cooling system (LOL)

I love it. You've improved ventilation and raised the rails. I dont think the boat will roll much more than before but you will probably notice it more. My only suggestion would be anti skid paint or snap down carpet or something similar for traction. Enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

OMG, a positive, supportive comment. THANKS!! and yes tossed down some used cow mats for traction and to avoid stubbing my toes (floor has hinges to access life jackets,safety, stuff etc). The smell of the mats should help combat the scent from the 'where the f#*@k did that lamprey go?'

Hat is off to you buddy !  I say make her your own.  I have done tons of mods on mine and though I had to learn a lot the hard way, I'd never be so brave as to ask for pre-advise   :) .

Personally speaking, I'd never want my boat back the way it was before I restored it. Good luck with your project and have fun!  

Edited by Fishtails