Kicker too big?

rick99

Has anyone had issues with kicker causing transom well to take on water? I have a proline 170 and installed at 15 4 stroke based on recommendation from mechanic. Anyhow transom seem to take on water and cause bilge to run all the time. I've take boat out and filled with water to check for leaks but found none. I may have to put weight on bow to offset. Anyone seen this before?

I have a 2005 17' tracker with a mercury 9.9 pro kicker (96 lbs 2014 specs *corrected) and I was taking on a little water in my spashwell… but I also had three batteries in the rear and full tank (approx 28-32 gallons?). I moved two to the front and It rides very nice now. I can fish 3 grown men no problem. 9.9 would have been sufficient for you boat but I honestly don't know the weight difference between the 9.9 and 15 depending on manufacturer; its probably not that much different. I know my boat was designed for adding a kicker though. I don't know about the prolines but they are a nice ride.

Edited by boho607

I just added a 8 hp Yamaha 4 stroke to my 16 foot alum. I thinking on moving my gas tanks  to the front of my boat because of the added weight,hoping on testing it out today. I fish mostly by my self will report back to let you know how it went.

I would consider making a move to a smaller kicker and maybe a different mechanic. That is way overkill for a 17' boat, I am betting that boat's dry weight isn't over 2,000lbs. I have a 23' proline and run a 2 stroke 8hp kicker and that is enough for my boat. 

There are guys on here with 30' boats that run a 15hp kicker, I would say way too much motor for your boat.

I stayed with a 2 stroke just for the weight differance. I can troll all day with 3 gallons of gas. I mix amsoil 100-1 never had a problem. That's what pushes a 22ft cuddy.

I just changed from a Johnson 9.9 long shaft 2 stroke to a brand new 4 stroke electric start 9.8 Tohatsu long shaft and there wasn't much difference in the weight at all but I stayed away from the electric trim option etc. for that very reason because t would have pushed the limit on my bracket. Mine is on a bracket too and not directly on the transom. I think the difference in motors was about 5 lbs.  One of the things I would be checking out is the transom itself...is it possibly waterlogged and this amount of added weight is perhaps pushing it over the edge weight-wise? You didn't give any info regarding the exact kicker or what you have for the big motor so it is hard to say what the total weight is.  I know the only difference in my 2 stroke 9.9 kicker and the 15 horse was in carburation. They were exactly the same motor and weight. Not sure about the 4 stroke versions. Also if you have a few batteries and the kicker located on the same side of the boat (and possibly other weight) and you are on that side as well in a boat that size (and depending on hull shape) it could be a weight distribution adjustment that is needed. I'd be experimenting with putting additional weight in the opposite side of the bow to see what happens too.

Edited by Sk8man

Les has brought up a good point here, the differance between a 9.9 and a 15hp is the carb. My engine is a 15hp so I got a 9.9 lid now I fish the no motors over 10hp allowed LOL. Another thing I didn't realize that the weight was that minimal 2 strokes vs 4 stroke. Thanks Les!!!

Make sure all the seems in your motor well are sealed. If water is washing into the motor well more now with the kicker motor, it should drain back out. But if any seems are leaking, it will drip into the bilge. Shifting some other weight forward may help. Also keep in mind that the extra weight is more strain on the transom and if it is at all weak, that won't be good. You should also secure the motor so it does not bounce around while trailering. If it is bouncing, that is almost like constantly hitting your transom with a sledge hammer.