I have a moor subtroll that is relatively new to me. Yesterday evening out of Wilson I was trying to keep speed at the ball around 2 on the subtroll. My SOG stayed around 3 mph +\- .2 regardless of trolling direction. Sound right? Felt like we were hauling. Probably should have played around a little more but did slow it down to 1.5 at the ball which was still 2.5 ish SOG. Last year before I had the subtroll I remember having a couple decent days in May on kings and lakers with an SOG of 2.3-2.6. Probe was brand new last summer. Any thoughts?

The speed at the ball will vary depending on wind and currents. That's not that unlikely to be showing those numbers if you were going with wind and currents in the same direction. I'm guessing the numbers were much the same when you turned and went the opposite direction?

Edited by Firechief48

With the sub troll, my sog rarely matches my speed at the probe. Keep it 1.8- 2.3 and you should be good (lakers 1.8-2, steel and kings 2-2.2 or so). Generally if I can keep the probe speed right near 2 rods are popping...

Edited by rdebadts

With the sub troll, my sog rarely matches my speed at the probe. Keep it 1.8- 2.3 and you should be good (lakers 1.8-2, steel and kings 2-2.2 or so). Generally if I can keep the probe speed right near 2 rods are popping...

This is where we fish ours too.

I think I've posted this before, but we noticed that the speed runs 0.4 mph slower when we have a rod hooked up versus after it's released. I think that the tension might change the way that the probe reads? We run Scotty releases off the ball, with the probe ~12" up. So, a reading of 2 mph is actually 2.4 mph SOG with no current. Running a typical spread of metal and spin docs, like others have said, we we find that 2-2.2 mph works.

Next time it's down, pop the release and see if your apparent speed jumps. Also, calibrate using the button on the back according to instructions if you're aiming for perfect accuracy.

Well today I dropped the probe down about 5 feet. Had 2.4 on the gps and 1.5 on subtroll. Great action on spoons so 1.5-1.75 on probe seemed to be my sweet spot. Only had 4 shots today but not sure it was speed related based on some other reports. Plus we caught a few nice kings.

I was on the boat with Rick Hajacki (Yankee Troller) last Saturday and we put the Moor Subtroll Probe and the Smart Troll Depth/Temp/Speed Probe a few inches apart attached to the Down-rigger cable. Then we put them about a foot underwater and compared the readings to Rick's Humminbird surface speed. The Subtroll was 0.8 to 1.0 MPH slower than the Humminbird.

Here is a link to Rick's facebook post.

https://www.facebook.com/SmartTroll/notifications/?section=activity_feed&subsection=mention&ref=notif&target_story=S%3A_I76184471193%3A10153689442231194

Edited by Smart Troll