Cayuga jigging

Went out this morning, hooked with a nice fighter in 30 FOW ended up dropping it. Ended up missing a few more hits shallow and missed a few out around 70 fow. I wondered what other people were doing jigging wise

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Jigged south of Myers Friday for 2 hrs , lots of marks everywhere no hits. Went just north of Myers and same but lots of bait up to 1 mile . Went today( 5-24 ) just south of Milliken station, jiggin 30 fow to 150 and very few marks, 2 dropped in shallow. Dropped riggers in 70 over 80 and hit a 20 " laker on NBK spoon . Hit west side after and nada. Sounds like the majority of action is north !

Ended up with this 8.5lb laker a few weeks ago at the salt plant Jigging, nothing of size since. Was in 80 or so FOW then. Have tried the power plant and some spots on the west side since with no luck. I agree depth is all over the map, one day they'll be in 50 FOW and the next in 150. You'll see a lot on bottom with but getting The big ones to hit has been a challenge. Have killed my fair share of lamprey though this year, they seem to like the small lakers.

post-147087-14642600157505_thumb.jpg

Edited by PCPete

Jigged north of long point yesterday. Tried deep and shallow but fish were in 100 feet of water with deeper water closer to shore. Was alone so only picture is after that my wife took.Caught 2 this size on white jig with char. pepper tube. Lots of marks in the right place

post-148054-0-80500400-1464277931_thumb.jpg

I use a med weight ugly stik with a abu ambassauder 5500 reel spooled with 30  pound braid to 15 foot floro leader 12 pounds, then a barrel swivel and another 2 feet of floro to the jig. I took off about 3 inches off the tip to make it a little more stiffer but still flexable. Jig is 1.5 once with a small zoom tube.

I use a Field and Stream Tech Spec with 15lb power pro braid (diameter of 4lb mono) tied directly to a 10lb Visaline fluorocarbon leader (8-10ft) I also use white 1oz jig heads from Hermit with a white body most the time, you can buy (the best) jig heads heads from the site below. They have very sharp hooks and are top quality, better than anything I have ever been able to find in a store. You can also buy flukes also at the link below. I use some flukes from the site below and/or zoom flukes, white is always a good color but I have had success with others as well. Green/chartreuse jig heads are also good at times.

Jig heads and flukes

http://deepwater.cayugafisher.net/index.php

Here are is a good resource for setting up your gear, I'm basically setup like this -

http://cayugafisher.net/pages/resdex.php

We picked up these 3 lakers after launching at long point yesterday from 3PM - 8PM

Biggest was 26" and weighed in at 7lbs 11oz

post-147087-14645306497056_thumb.jpg

-Pete

My buddy and I went out last night (5/30/16) from 6:00PM - 9:00PM. Tried the power plant and Taughannock, marked very few fish and bait was very scattered. Ended up with a few bites and no fish in the boat. I scouted around for 2 hours in anything from 150 FOW to 50 FOW with no different results or solid marks/bait pods. Was a bit disappointing as hes never caught a laker Jigging but hopefully next time. On a different note we ended up casting for an hour from 8:30 - 9:30pm near north point in the shallow water and marked a ton of bait in 20FOW. I even turned down my fish finder sensitivity because I didn't believe it at first. Not sure what to make of that. 

-Pete 

Edited by PCPete

I've been Hudson Striper and Ontario Browns fishing this spring but on Cayuga the active Laker population should be around Deans/Aurora at this point in the season.

Went out of Meyers yesterday morning (5-30)

jigging, Ended up catching this guy late into the morning. Had several short strikes and dropped a few right after the hit. Most marks on screen came from 75-80 FOW for me. I even caught a small salmon in 50fow jigging right off the start

post-152590-14647449944101_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that information. I would assume such but having heard is good info. we usually start 5am and fish until we get burned off the lake. sure is nice to see all that bait out there.....jk

When the wind is calm we jig that deep a lot. Most of our success is usually at 100 to 110 feet. 25 feet is going to weird. We live on 1 ounce jigs. Yep at 120 you are trying to push the line out of the rod to sink faster. If we see fish reacting to the jigs on the fall of course we stop dropping and start fishing right there and then