Chautauqua Opener

Who's going to Chautauqua for the opener this weekend? I'm expecting to see lots of muskie boats out. I'm excited to get back out there this weekend. This first hot stretch of weather may be good. I don't think i posted these here before, but here are pics of our two best Chq releases from 2015. Good luck to everyone.

post-150846-14642076115803_thumb.jpg

post-150846-14642076324029_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ivan

Nice ski's Ivan. I will be out there sat-tues....black/grey tracker. Man i can't wait, it has been too long. Weather is lookin iffy, but maybe that will be a good thing. Will be happy just getting some new baits wet

I'll be there Saturday thru Tuesday. Hoping to find a pattern quickly. Assuming shallow? Going to have my 8 year old with me, so only going to troll to get him a few fish. I usually fish north, but heard south end was hot early last year. Any recommendations? Depth you think fish will be holding? Good luck everyone!

I'll be there Saturday thru Tuesday. Hoping to find a pattern quickly. Assuming shallow? Going to have my 8 year old with me, so only going to troll to get him a few fish. I usually fish north, but heard south end was hot early last year. Any recommendations? Depth you think fish will be holding? Good luck everyone!

It's probably not far into post spawn, so id say shallower is a safe bet to start. I'll be curious to see what the water temp and clarity situation is. Hard to say between north and south. Both ends hold lots of fish. We caught fish in both ends early last year. I just hope we dont get chased by storms too much.

Ivan,Nice Fatties from last year! I will be out every day thru June 17th on Chautauqua.As I always do I will start north of Bell Tower for the opener.If water temps are still in the low 60's,then the warmest water will be shallow,so I will start out trolling short line with Wiley's in tight to shore and structure.Good Luck to everyone this weekend and thru the season!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Somebody told me today, he has heard from two different sources (one being Hogans Hut) that guys have been fishing for muskies all week at Chautauqua. Season opens tomorrow right, or am I missing something? Maybe somebody is just misinformed. I sure hope people aren't targeting muskies out of season there. Chautauqua isn't a tiger lake.

Been here all week. Haven't seen anyone fishing for Muskie. Just bass walleye and panies. But it is a big lake...

This is my 1st spring for Muskies. Can't wait till tomorrow. I will be throwing the south basin up to bemus/toms.

Water is very clear. Temps today were 65+ on surface this evening. Morning was 62 ish.

I run a red tracker targa.

-ericmic1

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

When I was walleye fishing yesterday I had a boat with two guys come by trolling with 6 down rods at a pretty brisk clip. Couldn't see what they were pulling for baits when they cleaned floaters. Sure looked like a musky spread to me. On Wednesday night saw another boat going at a pretty good clip in a musky pattern. My guess is that reports are correct. Was surprised given the musky opener has been moved up here.

I think there could be a little confusion about the new opening date. Some people think it is the third Sat. in May (maybe confusing it with the old statewide opener and the current great lakes opener of third Sat. in June). But it is the last Sat. in May. Also, early on, when they were talking about changing it, third Sat in May was a date that was talked about (or maybe it was considered).

Maybe they thought it would make it easier for musky anglers to plan a combination musky fishing weekend and a family weekend over the Memorial Day weekend. LOL. Of course there will be years when musky opener and Memorial Day don't fall on the same weekend.

Just remember:

1) Purebred Musky:

A) GREAT LAKES WATERS: Opens 3rd Sat in June. Closes Nov 30th above Niagara Falls, Dec 15th below Niagara Falls through the St. Lawrence River. Min size is 54" throughout.

B) INLAND WATERS Purebred Musky: Opening Day is LAST Sat. in May (not 3rd or 4th but could be 4th). Closes Nov. 30th. Minimum size is 40".

2) Tiger Musky:  Statewide opening day is the same as pike and walleye; 1st Sat. in May. Minimum size 30" except 36" in Otisco Lake.

HERE IS THE CONFUSING PART and this was done to avoid identification issues.

In waters that have purebred muskies, tigers follow same rules (season and size) as the purebreds. EXCEPT in Chemong, Tioga and Steuben county's, the Chemong, Tioga and Susquehanna rivers and their tribs, the season opener for purebred muskies and tigers is same as statewide tiger (1st Sat in May) but Min size is 40" (same as inland purebred).

Edited by muskiedreams

Last Tuesday I was checking out the Long Point Marina launch. The usual guys fishing from the docks, a Starcraft boat came in two guys, Ohio boat reg., muskie rods and baits for sure. I watched an older guy fishing from dock ask the guys in boat " Whatcha catch " reply " Fish " Older guy " What are you fishing for " Guy in boat " You wanna know a lot " I thought they were fishing for muskies, with their equipment and baits it sure looked like it to me.

Edited by Cody

Last Tuesday I was checking out the Long Point Marina launch. The usual guys fishing from the docks, a Starcraft boat came in two guys, Ohio boat reg., muskie rods and baits for sure. I watched an older guy fishing from dock ask the guys in boat " Whatcha catch " reply " Fish " Older guy " What are you fishing for " Guy in boat " You wanna know a lot " I thought they were fishing for muskies, with their equipment and baits it sure looked like it to me.

Earlier this year on Conesus they were running rigs for walleyes well before the opener. It was obvious from the planer boards and downriggers they weren't fishing for early season (catch and release) bass.

Musky net,  musky lures, to which I won't identify so not to offend. I usually DO NOT post, however I think someone was getting a jump on the opener. The guy piloting the boat seemed evasive and short with answers.  If I were a betting man I would put money that these two were fishing for muskies.